ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a new broadband/TV/phone package

As above, my Virgin Media contract has ended. I was paying £43.50 a month for 200MB broadband (speed test shows actual speed of circa 150mb), full TV package (minus Sky Sports/Movies) and weekend phone.

They wanted £75 a month to continue with that package, and couldn't get it any cheaper than that. The broadband is great, but the TV is gash. Tivo is the worst product I have ever used. I appreciate this has been rectified somewhat with the new box but still.

Does anyone know of any good deals/discounts at the moment?

I really am not fussed at all for the TV side of things, nor phone. I want a good broadband service. Virgin could offer me a broadband only package that was circa £49 a month, but I thought that was high and don't necessarily need 200mb broadband. I only use it for streaming TV and stuff on YouTube, and am never on more than one device at any one time.

Any and all help appreciated as always. Anything around £40 a month if fine, but the cheaper the better.

Listerine & Poledo
You could get away with any basic landline broadband for that level of usage, although entry-level Fibre would probably be less of a noticeable downgrade.

BT is the first place I'd suggest. Either just their Inifinity Fibre package, or maybe get the BT TV pack too. Give it a look anyway

I stream catch up TV most days and don't get buffering problems with a standard broadband package, so I wouldn't necessarily go for fiber if it means paying a fair amount more as you won't benefit.

Cheers both.

I think BT have a package for circa £30 a month for fibre broadband and a very basic TV package (which costs no additional money) so may go for that then. Speeds of up to 54mb I think it said. I won't notice it being particularly slow in comparison will I?

Listerine & Poledo
nah, you'll be fine.

It's only when you're trying to download large files that you'd notice a difference, or if you wanted to stream HD Youtube to several things at a time.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I dumped the virgin tv (TiVo - yep, quite possibly the worst thing ever, I had it right from the start).

got sky q, box set package, all sports in ultrahd, all movie channels, 2tb main box and a mini box for our bedroom.

£47 a month for the 18 month life of the contract. Upfront cost of 15 quid.

kept my virgin broadband because it is mostly flawless and I get maxed out speeds constantly.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Vodafone offer Fibre 38 with a £1 connection fee and from as little as £23 per month I believe, and no monthly line rental. At that price it's definitely worth considering.

Vodafone offer Fibre 38 with a £1 connection fee and from as little as £23 per month I believe, and no monthly line rental. At that price it's definitely worth considering.
Is their broadband as s**t as their mobile coverage?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Is their broadband as s**t as their mobile coverage?
Don't all mobile and broadband providers have tools so you can check in advance?

As far as I'm aware no provider has 100% UK coverage, fixed or mobile. Nearly everyone has had bad experiences of being in the wrong place for the network they're on, that's just life.

I've just gone from BT to Virgin with the latter on 200mb broadband with full house TV with sky sports for £56 a month. No telephone nor line rental. BT is ok for broadband and we get around 50mb with infinity, but the TV platform is utter gash compared to Sky, but sky is now expensive when I got a comparable quote.

clio 182 trophy
All sorted. Got a really good deal with BT. Thanks for your advice you wise bunch.
Out of curiosity what deal did you manage to get? My missus has been really pissed with bt customer service the last couple of weeks they have been shite to deal with.

Out of curiosity what deal did you manage to get? My missus has been really pissed with bt customer service the last couple of weeks they have been shite to deal with.
Yes mate. The deal was Unlimited Infinity 1 broadband (up to 54mb), land line with unlimited weekend calls, their basic "starter" TV package (really not fussed for it but was free) and BT Sport. A one off installation fee by their engineer of £69.99. Total monthly cost is £29.49. I got a £125 BT reward card, so that chalks off the £69.99 engineer fee plus an extra £55.

I also did cashback through Quidco and got £160.

Works out at something silly like £12 a month for the length of the 12 month contract.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
New. BT fibre broadband & line '£17/mth'. Via this BT fibre link* anyone who doesn't currently have BT broadband can get up-to-52Mb fibre (3x standard speed) + line rent for a year, till Wed 19 April. It gives unlimited downloads and is available to 83% of the UK - you're told when applying if you can get it. Here's how it works:

1. Unlimited fibre broadband and line rent £28.99/mth for 12mths. After, it jumps to £47.49/mth. Weekend calls to UK landlines are included, see BT call costs for others.

2. You pay £59.99 set-up costs. Includes activation and p&p for the 'free' router.

3. CLAIM a £150 prepaid Mastercard & £50 cashback AFTER installation. This is the heat that makes this a serious sizzler. Annoyingly, BT won't remind you to claim, so remember to use this Mastercard linkand cashback link. You've up to 3mths after activation to claim - they then take up to 45 days to arrive.
- Is the price fixed during the contract?Technically no, though BT told us it has no plans to increase it. If it does, you should be able to ditch your contract penalty-free.

- Cost analysis: You pay £407.87 over 1yr before calls. But claim the cashback & use the Mastercard (which is like cash) & it's £207.87, equiv to £17.32/mth. Regular cashback site users may see bigger cashback elsewhere, but often on more expensive deals.