ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need Advice..fecking insurance!

Hi all,

Just wanted your advice or opinion, here goes. About 3 weeks ago my 5 month old 182 was damaged by a car that was parked next to mine that set on fire. Its caused around 700 quids worth of damage to the front left and is off to the garage tomorrow.

When it happened, i contacted the guys insurance company whos car set on fire, explained i was the 3rd party involved so that they could pay for the damage, only to be told about 2 weeks later that they were NOT going to pay out as the person who owned the car was not in it at the time and that an electrical fault was to blame, his car was completley written off.

So, I contacted Renault, who im insured with, they said to me today that they have looked over the claim and been in contact with Admiral (the other blokes insurers) and that Renault cant help either, for the same reason...somthing along the lines of "anyones car could set on fire therefore there isnt anyone to blame" so into the garage goes my car with the excess to pay and Ill lose 5+ years of no claims!

F***ing insurance companies are an absolute joke, what is the point in them!

any ideas what to do next?? take him to court perhaps?

A very pi**ed off 182pilot..

Fook mate ! That is sh*t ! Really sh*t !

If I was you then I would pay the £700 if you can afford it. Losing 5+ years NCB is going to cost you much much more than this.

I cannot believe that your own insurance company is not covering you tho ! Maybe seek some legal advice ?

His was a J reg Clio 1.2....maybe clios have a thingof self combusting! Beware.

Daipac, yeah probably will do that.

320d M Sport

hmm.

im almost certain Admiral will pay ur claim even if they dont pay his.

WE;ve had claims at work where our guy has damaged TP vehicles, his claim has been repudiated (kicked out) and theyve had to pay the TP claim.

Youll be right mate dont worry about it, ring Financial Ombudsman for more help or get hold of a manager at ur insurance company to sort it out.

dont worry!

Yaris Hybrid

I would ask him nicely to pay the £700. If he says no say ok mate fine and walk off.

Then wait til he gets his replacement car sneak round one night and key it.

Ummmmmmmmmm, I dont think I would go along that path to be honest, it is not his fault his car caught fire is it ?

Do what Paddy suggests mate, I am sure it will sort itself out.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 08 October 2004

Then wait til he gets his replacement car sneak round one night and key it.

Would you hand over £700 in situation? Im sure the guy didnt intend to torch the other car or his.

The real people at fault is the insurers, not the other guy.

I doubt a J reg Clio owner has £700 to just hand over like that. Or many people for that matter.

Yaris Hybrid

A gentleman would do the decent thing and make sure you aint too much out of pocket even if he only gave you a few hundred notes.

Guess the Ombudsman is your only hope.

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

loosing 5+ yrs NCB seems abit harsh. Sure if you claimed it would be 3yrs NCB. Do you have protected NCB??

As said before better off not going through insurance if you can afford it, if you get no joy from the insurance company.

hope you get it sorted out.