ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need helping Cleaning my 182!!!!!!!

182 Cup Racing Blue
Hi,

Purchased my Clio 182 cup last night in racing blue. The car is pretty much mint but it needs one hell of a clean. The cup wheels (black in colour) need some serious cleaning. I need to remove a lot of hard baked on brake dust. In order to do this I need to take each wheel off. I also need to clay the whole car, then polish and then wax it. Could some please help and tell me the best products on the market at the moment for cleaning wheels, need something powerful…..wonders wheels any good….also what the best clay and spray on solution is. Also heard some good things about a wax called canbura wax or something, gives a nice deep wet look. The wheels are my main issue as want that brake dust off!!! Thanks .Adam

BMW E46 330i Touring
Wonder wheels is probably your best bet mate, see how you get on with that first.

Once you get them looking clean, stick a layer of wax on the wheels as well, will make them easier to clean in future.

And, yeah, Carnuba wax is a must for a decent finish, normally applied best after another, more protective wax is applied.

106 GTi
Wonder Wheels is one the harshest cleaners out there if that does not shift it nothing will!

Once cleaned use some Autoglym Super Resin and Extra Gloss to seal them inside and out.

Carnuba Waxes give a deep wet look to the paint but dont last that long. Best off with a sealant base to it first.

182 Cup Racing Blue
Will wonder wheels damage the wheels, there not silver there black / dark grey, the cup ones. There not curbed or anything just covered in brake dust spots!! Where is the best place to buy clay from along with the solution you should spray on it, keep seeing poor boys being mentioned..........

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've just tried Aldis own version of Fairy power spray , its called Magnum power spray and its 99p opposed to the Fairy power spray at around £3.50 .

Spray it on , leave for 10 mins then hose it off . Its not really mean't for painted surfaces so make sure the alloys are in good condition i.e. no missing lacquer , paint etc .Better than the AG engine and machine cleaner and about £4 or £5 cheaper ;)

Fiat Coupe 20vt
If its the first time that it has been clayed i would reccomend somthing like the Sonus Black or Grey or Sonus Ultra Fine for more regular use. In my opinion though the best clay available is the Clay Magic stuff. They invented it and hold all the patents so it really is the best available.

For the wheels Wonder wheels first time, but after that i would look at sealing them. Somthing like the Poorboys wheel sealant is very effective at putting a barrier between the rims and brake dust.

For the perect finish, you are best polishing, sealing and then waxing. Heres a little guide I put together for product use order

I would look at using a sealant for max protection and then if you fancy top with a nice wax, although stuff like Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection are getting closer to achieving that carnauba waxed look with added durability.

Cheers Tim

106 GTi
A route/process that will look good on Racing Blue IMO.

Clay - Serious Performance Clay (Good value for money)
Swirl removal by hand - Megs Scratch X as Needd
Paint Cleaner/Mild polish - Autoglym Super Resin
Sealant - Autoglym Extra Gloss
Wax - P21s or Poorboys Nattys Blue http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/sp/products/polish_wax.php

The AG Twins can also be used on you wheels, saves money on an extra product cost.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
acrebo said:
Crikey, I wouldn't use Power Spray on them, let along an own brand version!

Crikey . I would :) Its not as aggresive as Wonder wheels mate .Don't knock it 'til ya try it !

I saw somebody on detailingworld mention they have used it and it was fine so if its good enough for them its good enough for me :rasp:

106 GTi
Personally I would not use anythging not made for the task, but if it works hey I am not going to argue! That said it cant be any worse than Wonder Wheels or other wheel acids, I dont use them either though.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh, wheel acid can really corrode wheels badly over time. Not too bad on the Clio wheels because the nuts are concealed behind the center cap. It normally corrodes the wheel nuts, and when they look rusty it ruins the whole appearance of the wheels. Once your wheels are clean use a good sealant. I recently used the M Seal from carwashnwax on them and has left a really good finish, I can just use a dry microfibre cloth to wipe off any dust and buff them up again.