ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

need interent - help

none :(
i have just moved into my own place, i dont have a phone line as im using my mobile, asked sky if i could get broadband and they said that i need a bt line rental. rang bt yesterday and they said i have to pay £125 instillation, sureky this cant be right, are there any other ways i could get the net without paying £125

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Not unless you go with Virgin but im not sure if they charge as well.I was in exactly the same position as you last week but we just bit the bullet and paid the "one off connection fee".

Titanium 182
Is there not a BT line to your house already ? If theres not BT have to provide a line to your house by law but they can charge you for it as above. I cant think of anyway around it mate. Feel free to pm me with any questions or anything and ill do my best to inform you as a BT employee :)

172 Cup
Is there not a BT line to your house already ? If theres not BT have to provide a line to your house by law but they can charge you for it as above. I cant think of anyway around it mate. Feel free to pm me with any questions or anything and ill do my best to inform you as a BT employee :)

There will be a BT line into his house (Unless he lives in Hull). The charge he's referring to is the connection fee, not an installation fee (although they often term it that way).

none :(

cant you do me a deal on the instillation fee ;)

172 Cup

You don't have to pay it in one lump sum.

Go with cable for internet, no need to pay the extra £10 a month for a phone line you'll never use and think its free installation.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
If you can get virgin media in your area it's the cheapest way to go - I don't have a landline (as use mobile) and pay 20 quid a month for broadband and cable tv. Don't think there was even a connection charge.

tiTTy & SV650
Just got my own place a few months back and admitted defeat and paid the £125 to get my connection.

Sent a letter of complaint and have been credited with £35 (3 months line rental).

I went with O2 broadband, £7.50 a month and 7MB download speed on the upto 8MB package, free wireless router etc.

Titanium 182

There will be a BT line into his house (Unless he lives in Hull). The charge he's referring to is the connection fee, not an installation fee (although they often term it that way).

Its been known for people to have them disconnected when they move out, it happens more commonly than you think.

Haha if i i was in that side of the business maybe, Im in the network side though mate :(

172 Cup

Its been known for people to have them disconnected when they move out, it happens more commonly than you think.

Exactly why I said the charge is a connection fee (I.E the street cabinet), not an installation fee (jcb digger digging trenches down the road etc).

tiTTy & SV650
It is a complete con, my flat is a new build and was all pre-wired with sockets and cables on site.

After arranging for an engineer to come out I got a call from a BT (Bangladeshi Telecom?) call centre to tell me the line would be automatically activated and no engineer was required at the flat. i.e. just a jumper at the exhange needed set.

Then I contacted BT in the UK to see how much they wanted seeing as no engineer was required, still £125?! WTF

So if a telegraph pole needs installed and a line run to a house and a socket installed in said house BT asign a value of £0 to it.

Or.... if it's a new build where the developers have done all the hard work, BT make 1000's of times more profit.

Needless to say the cheap contractors BT use to do the jumper at the exhange screwed it up so I ended up with a BT Engineer out twice to find my line (which disappeared on trying to get broadband) and he informed me the cowboy contractors only put 1 cable in where they're supposed to use 2 and they constantly had to rectify this.

Value for money - I think not!