ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Neon install

FOR SALE - Mk1 V6

having a bit of trouble, ive tried to hook a neon to the boot light.
Thinking that i just cut both sets of wires and attach them together. Positive/negitive.
So why wont it work....
Does the neon need more power?

silver valver/hybrid

shouldnt need hardly any power at all, i was going to wire up mine the same way but lack of time i just wired it to one of the amps (remote live and ground) works fine like that.

FOR SALE - Mk1 V6

yeah i cut the old one off, forgotten where i put it now..
I just attached the wires to the neon but nothing.... Ill work it out when i get the car back

James, have you got the neon working on its own?

Thats probably the problem, one of mine blew as I wired it up with the old lamp still in it!

Needed a new transformer....

derv, when you say you wired it up to one of your amps, do you use a distribution block or anything, or just bridge it over the power and earth terminals on the amp??
Also, does anyone know if you can just cut off the cigarette lighter adaptor on a neon which comes with one and wire it in to another circuit??
Cheers.

silver valver/hybrid

iceman, i simply cut off the cigar lighter plug and wired the black wire to the earth of my amp and the red one to the remote live of the amp, and it comes on when i switch the stereo on, easy peasy lemon squeezy! Had it wired up like that in my rt for a year, and never had no probs.

Does that not only give it about 1 volt? I thought the remote lead had only a very low voltage through it?? Surely the neons a bit dim since its meant to be running on 12v?

silver valver/hybrid

dunno, seems bright to me, i didnt think it would work either but a mate told me to try it like that and it worked so i left it.

The remote lead just provides a low current 12v. Not sure how much current it supplys though, guess it verries between head units, but I wouldnt try running lots of stuff off it, better off using it to switch a relay.

yeah the remotes still twelve volt, would be worth finding out its current though so u dont melt the cables from overloading.