ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reverse Camera Wiring

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
After some advice on the wiring for the Reversing Camera I have bought for my new Apple Car Play Unit to fit to my E60. Camera is the right one for the unit but came with no instructions :rolleyes: I have contacted the shop but nothing yet. The only instructions are for the apple car play unit, which seem to be clear and fitting that looks simple

1667937906213.png

Only odd thing about the wiring is that there is a separate microphone (as per the instructions) but there is also a "mic" label on a jack plug that I have no idea goes where. I am also not sure how good the Chinese translation is.

So this is the wiring on the camera is this:
1667937999136.png

From what I can work out is:
  • A is the boot release switch
  • C and D go together
  • B and H fit together
  • other end of H is a red and black wire. The plug looks like a typical charger/power supply thing
  • There is enough wire between D and F to go through the car
  • There is continuity between E and G (red wires coming from the yellow connectors)
Then the other end of the car play unit has these wires:
1667938205278.png

Then my thinking is:
  • F and J plug together
  • I don't think I need L and I don't have front camera
  • I know I need power and a signal to tell the unit that the car is in reverse to turn the camera on (other reverse cameras I have seen jump off a reverse bulb)
  • Not sure what M is with "Back up light"? Is this just bad translation and means something like "reversing light" or a light back up?
  • But then I want to connect F and J together then put G to K for some reason.
  • This just leaves the plug H with the wires I (red and black)? Now do I put the red of I into E and then the black of I into the reverse bulb?
  • But the instruction wiring doesn't quite follow the wires that were supplied.

What are people's thoughts?

Oh I have just watched a video of some American installing one and they call it a "Backup camera" so is "Backup light" mean the reversing light?! Is so no idea how to get wire M all the way to the back of the car. But he only wires the black wire of I to the reverse light and the red wire is not attached as the head unit provides power. Although the camera he is fitting is different to mine.

Last edited:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member

Actually just watched this and is a better video. Pretty certain it is a different unit and camera to mine but the wiring looks the same. Says the didn't need a reverse trigger as his head unit knows what gear it is in (the parking sensors come up on the screen so maybe it can work it out from that feed?). If so then it is simple. Don't need to attch M as I now think that is the reverse trigger. Black wire of I goes to ground. And red wire of I goes to E. That sound reasonable?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
B to H to 12v (powers camera, can be linked to rev light so it only comes on when in rev.
Can also be wired to earth and connected via E/G to gain power from the front of car, via K or a switch.
If powered via H, E and G can be ignored.
M is if you have a camera with LEDs that have a separate 12v feed, might be what B/H is for, depends on camera. try it with and without the 12v feed.
L is if you have front/side cameras what link to the phono cables next to J and shown on the instructions, I assume the DVR/Screen/headunit can be used as dashcam recorder

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I see what you mean, it can either be powered by the head unit (E,G,K)

or

use a reversing bulb as a switched power.
I’ll take another look with it all laid out on the floor but that has helped!