ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nest Installation

Inferno 182 CUP
Are they wireless? I.e a sender installed by the boiler and the pretty but just goes on a wall somewhere or are they hard wired?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
There is 2 parts to it, one is the device that connects to your boiler to tell it when to turn on and off - this unit connects wirelessly to the funky display unit.

The way they connect it is by using your old thermostats wires to act as the power cables that goes to the display unit from the sender. You can also power the display unit with USB but it looks so much nicer on the wall. I had Nest install it and I think they subcontract to a company called Integral.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
display unit needs power, there is no battery. you have to run a cable from the sender unit to the display that will carry the power. If the next display is going to be replacing your existing thermostat you can use the wires that go to that to save you running new cables.

Inferno 182 CUP
But the display unit isn't it needs a plug socket? My existing one is a Honeywell thermostat that is battery operated and wireless talks to the sender unit in the boiler cupboard

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Get a hive - that's wireless. I have Hive and love it! (also managed to get it for £99 fitted!)

BMW F31
Can you plug it in to the mains in your living room and place it on a bookcase or something? granted it wont be in the ideal location in the living room as opposed to a hallway but it learns pretty quick so should still settle down.

We have ours in our hallway, just replaced the existing wired thermostat on the wall, your only other option would be if you have a plug socket in your hall?

Inferno 182 CUP
I do have a plug socket but not where the current thermostat is and I don't want It hidden behind front door where other is, and even if I did I don't want a wire all the way down the wall. How is it a cheap £50 Honeywell can be battery yet a £200 nest cant?

BMW F31
I'm guessing due to the full colour screen and the amount of data its transferring? Do you have solid walls or stud? could fit the cable in the wall.

If it were me, I might be thinking about putting it in the living room.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
It will be worth getting an electrician or builder to chase the cable into your wall and then plaster over it. Cant see that costing that much- max 2 hrs so perhaps £50 - £100. It will look a lot nicer in your lounge where people can see it.

Inferno 182 CUP
Solid, Urgh, may have a solution of putting it on the stairs and running cables into the stairs and then cupboard with boiler in .. sounds a ballsche but probably quite easy and neat, just means its mounted to the wood of the stairs not the concrete wall .. can't see it being an issue.

After seeing a few videos today I'm so temted to replace my 230v smoke alarms and battery co2 detectors with nest protects too!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I know people with nest protects and they pretty much have nothing good to say about them.

Constant false alarms off them. Nothing worse than being out somewhere and being told your house is burning down (apart from your actual house burning down).

Cayman S Edition 1
I know people with nest protects and they pretty much have nothing good to say about them.

Constant false alarms off them. Nothing worse than being out somewhere and being told your house is burning down (apart from your actual house burning down).
oh bugger.....

Inferno 182 CUP

Oh wow

Cayman S Edition 1

Had a quick look and I see what you mean. I've just got of the phone to apple and have cancelled my order. Don't even want to take the risk, especially as I've just forked out £160.

PS. thanks for the heads up:)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Also remember that the "life" of the protect is 7 years, so after that 7 years the protect has to go in the bin and you have to replace with a new one, just as you would a normal smoke detector....but they're much cheaper and often have a longer life cycle. I've read things of people installing 5+ of these in there house at the same time, I think i'd cry on that day in 7 years time when I stick them all in the bin and have to go out and buy new ones.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the protects, but I've never had a false alarm off any of the normal smoke detectors in our house, so quite why they seem to have to many issues.

I thought they looked pretty neat, but thought better of it when the people I know with them were living on their wits end because the bloody things keep going off!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
H
PS. thanks for the heads up:smile:

No worries. Usually I do a lot of research when buying stuff and take "problems reported on the internet" with a pinch of salt as people generally only make noise when something doesn't work right for them, but given that the people I know who have them have all experienced this issue....I can only come to one conclusion!

BMW F31
I thought they sorted the nest protect issues out now? they stopped selling them for a while, whilst they revised them I think.

Not sure I'd want to replace them all in 7 years time at that price though!

Inferno 182 CUP
Yeah I googled it and it seems all issues are fixed after a period of not selling them so any bought now are fine?!

Cayman S Edition 1
Yeah I googled it and it seems all issues are fixed after a period of not selling them so any bought now are fine?!
I saw on the Nest forum that people are still having issues now, which makes it all more confusing. Perhaps another 12 months and things will settle down.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The issue was to do with being able to accidentally turn the protect off by waving your hands, that's why they were removed from sale. When they went back on sale all they'd done is turn off this feature.

The false alarms is a separate issue that still plagues users. It just shouldn't happen, it's never happened with any smoke alarm I've ever had!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
No, just curious! I still have a read of the nest forums every now and then and people are still complaining about it.

The people I know with them suffer from the false alerts, but they were early adopters. Just wondering really whether the situation was better in newer hardware (which the forums would imply is not the case as people keep moaning about it!)

SQ5
I've got my training for nest reselling and install on Monday so been reading up on it today. It looks and sound easy and reliable, but I'm unsure.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I've not heard anything bad about the Nest thermostat tbh (it's just the smoke alarms that seem to be awful), only other than people moaning that it only works properly with a combi boiler.

You can use it with a non-combi, but you need to keep the existing programmer and wire the nest into that and then the hot water times are set through the programmer and the heating set to always on so that the nest can control it.

Cayman S Edition 1
@Danny133 @Jay_A

Curious, did any of you guys get nest protects in the end? Have you had false alarms?
Nope, just got a FireAngel smoke alarm and separate carbon monoxide sensor from B&Q for £35. Much cheaper without the paranoia that I'll get a false alarm in the middle of the night.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah. It's not so much the ones in the middle of the night that are the problem, ok, they might be a little scary and annoying. It's the ones when you're miles away and your phone tells you that your house is burning down that are the ones that seem to get people!

Tesla MP3 2021
We've got a Nest Thermostat and it's a great bit of kit. I have it on the wall but use the USB power as left the original wall stat in place for the landlord. There is an internal battery.