ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Netbook / tablet with keyboard

A friend wants a tablet (with physical keyboard) or slim netbook for his daily travels (2-3hrs on the train each day).

He currently has a laptop that he carries around, but it's too bulky (Dell 15").

Criteria is:
  • Slim & light
  • MS Office (Powerpoint / Word / Excel)
  • Physical keyboard (doesn't want just touch screen when sat on the train)
  • VGA out (for use with a projector at clients, not sure if there is a workaround for this)
I've only got an iPad and Laptop myself, so can't comment on other tablets/netbooks.

Are there any tablets (Windows Surface?) that will do what he needs?

Budget <£1k.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Lenovo yoga?

Trouble is you are looking at RT tablets at that level and they are "meh"

Windows RT Surface should do exactly what he needs if he isn't looking to install legacy Windows applications. The Surface Pro would come under budget when released but he'll need Office separately.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I had a look at the Sony Vaio Duo 11 and it's really nice. Probably just as bulky as the labtop he currently has though. I wouldn't personally bother with an RT machine at the price they're at.
Surface Pro when it comes out is probably the one to go for
Asus Taichi keeps having release delayed or I'd be on one like a rash

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
You can't get Office for android, but Pro Officesuite is a good alternative that recognises all common formats

Cupra
Asus Vivo. It's a transformer with Windows RT.

Personally I'd go for an ultra book or MacBook Air of some sort instead.