ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Network Geek Help needed!

GW RS200
My computer "Steve-PC" which acts as a server and runs Vista Ultimate is causing problems.
The other two computers in the network (one running XP Pro the other Vista Ultimate ) can access \\Steve-PC\artwork but cannot access the listing of shares (\\Steve-PC). I get:

"\\Steve-PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied."

If I right click > properties the computer I get

"You do not have the appropriate access rights for this server. For more infomation, contact your network administrator"

but as I said if I enter the UNC path to a share, it works. I just can't view the "listings".

I'm stumped, i've tried:

- Disabling firewalls
- Running the network wizard
- Disabling file and printer sharing, then re-enabling it.
- Switching off all computers and router for a few minutes before switching back on
- Changing the workgroup (on all computers)
- Changing the security in safe mode
- Enabling the guest account
- Spyware scanning

And all the computers have the same accounts/passwords.

It's weird as it's not as if i'm being rejected access as full UNC paths work, but it thinks I dont have permission to view the index.

Any suggestions? Incidentally everything seemed to be working perfectly until about 5 days ago, so it's probably not a hardware or driver issue either.

Thanks!

Last edited:
  GW RS200
Hi! Thanks for replying. Yup I have rebooted many, many times. All the shares work fine, it's just the level above the shares (ie a folder where I can see all the folders that i am sharing) that I cannot view. And this level doesn't seem to have a properties or share tab. Any further ideas?! Before I slit my wrists!!?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Permissions to list contents at a filesharing level. Not sure where it will lie as I've never encountered it but typically you can also get this when you're not all in the same workgroup/domain.

Right click on "My computer" then click on "Manage"

In the shares sections, select the properties of your share, and tell us what's in there.

GW RS200
this is whats in the shares section:

Share Name Folder Path Type # Client Connections Description
ADMIN$ C:\Windows Windows 0 Remote Admin
Artwork E:\Artwork Windows 0
IPC$ Windows 0 Remote IPC
print$ C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers Windows 0 Printer Drivers
Public C:\Users\Public Windows 0

I have also made two further findings. One is that when I ran a network diagnosis tool (Network Magic) although it saw both computers, it labelled my correctly working one as a 'workstation' and my not working computer as 'unknown', although it could still be browsed freely. Connecting between computers using the shortcuts (which still works, it just can't be accessed from the bottom level up, by browsing from desktop>network>steves-pc upward) takes quite a long while. It almost seems like they think they are on different workgroups, although I have gone through every single setting on network and sharing centres of both computers and meticulously checked that every single setting is the same. Does anyone know of a way to reset all network settings from fresh?!

I should mention that all shares are to allow guest connections full read/write access. Is this ok?

GW RS200
Solution Found - Thread closed

Finally solved the problem. If anyone stumbles across this posting in the future the complete answer (for me at least) follows. Thanks again for all help and suggestions posters!

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa
Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1
Don't change "restrictanonymoussam" value.
Reboot

**if value changes itself back to 1, try the following:

Go to start -> run -> "gpedit.msc" -> enter
Computer Configurations -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

Disable: Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts
Disable: Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares
Enable: Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users
Enable: Network access: Named Pipes that can be accessed anonymously
Disable: Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares
Enable: Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously

Restart your computer then check the registry key. If its not set properly, reset it and restart your computer again. It should stick.