ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Networking Boff's Help?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Right... Bare with me here lol...

Just got a macbook and im wanting to set up time machine... but im not wanting to spend 200 quid on one of apples external hard drives/routers.

So this got me thinking... Could i buy an external HDD (1TB) and network it to my wireless router using ethernet cable/phone cable (dont know the proper name for it) or would i need to buy a router that had a USB port?

If i need to buy a router with a USB port, could i not buy one of these:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...&cid=12877502029726424730&sa=title#ps-sellers

Network it to my router somehow and use that as a repeater/wireless hard drive?

Sorry if im not making sense but that is basically what im wanting to know :eek:
thanks

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Right... Bare with me here lol...

Just got a macbook and im wanting to set up time machine... but im not wanting to spend 200 quid on one of apples external hard drives/routers.

So this got me thinking... Could i buy an external HDD (1TB) and network it to my wireless router using ethernet cable/phone cable (dont know the proper name for it) or would i need to buy a router that had a USB port?

If i need to buy a router with a USB port, could i not buy one of these:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...&cid=12877502029726424730&sa=title#ps-sellers

Network it to my router somehow and use that as a repeater/wireless hard drive?

Sorry if im not making sense but that is basically what im wanting to know :eek:
thanks

Airport Express only supports printers.

You either need:

1) A NAS.
2) A router with a USB host port that supports mass storage devices.

172 Cup SOLD
NAS - Network Attached Storage, best thing to share media wirelessley over a network between different sources.

I'm in the process of setting up a 2 or 4GB NAS with RAID to backup my backups if that makes sense.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
A nas has an ethernet port and a harddrive and will appear as a "windows share" on the network (a decent nas will support more than just samba, it'll do AFP, FTP, NFS etc).

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Right...

So if i buy one of those black box things that you linked... plug an internet cable from one of the ports in the back of my router into it, and connect my external HDD to it, then il be able to back up to it and use it as storage on my network.. Correct?

and thanks :D

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Right...

So if i buy one of those black box things that you linked... plug an internet cable from one of the ports in the back of my router into it, and connect my external HDD to it, then il be able to back up to it and use it as storage on my network.. Correct?

and thanks :D

correct!

koi

Audi S1
if you haven't bought your external hard drive it would be simpler to just buy a NAS device, so all you would need to do is plug it into your router

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
if you haven't bought your external hard drive it would be simpler to just buy a NAS device, so all you would need to do is plug it into your router
Whats that mean?

Id like it wireless ideally as i CBA plugging the device in everytime i need to backup etc

koi

Audi S1
You already have a wireless router so you just need to plug the drive into your router with a network cable. The drive will then show up in your network places so you will be able to access it wirelessly. Something like this will do the job:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128483

he wanted 1tb though in original post they are slightly more for some and alot more for others depending on feature set

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Right... So If i buy a NAS hard drive i can simply plug it into my router with one of those gray phone cables and it will work?

koi

Audi S1
Check you have a free socket on your router before you buy it. It will connect using a network cable, prob get one in the box.

You can get 1tb versions but as mentioned above they cost more.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
well m router posted above, has 4 ports to plug extra stuff into but no usb sockets. so i think il be fine!

koi

Audi S1
wow, the 1TB ones are a farking fortune!200+

think il stick with a 500gb one lol

Cheapest I found was £120 for 1tb, cost a fortune!

Decided to just buy a cheap pc of ebay and wack in a 1tb hd to put all my backups on. A lot more versatile :approve: