ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Networking my desktop and laptop

a burnt one
I want to have these both on the same network to share files and the printer etc etc, currently the desktop, laptop and PS3 all use the same Netgear router for internet access.

My Desktop can detect the PS3 but nothing else, my laptop doesnt detect any, do i need to run a crossover cable between the laptop and desktop or can it all be done wirelessly?

Both run Windows vista.

C

CL10

Since they are all on the netgear router they will already be all "networked". Just set up file and printer sharing on both machines. Start > Control Panel > Network & Internet Connections > Network setup wizard. Thats the steps for xp, sohuld be similar for Vista, hope that helps.

DCi
there is a few things here I guess:

PS3: what are you trying to do with the PS3? Are you just trying to connect it to the internet? Or do you want to stream music/videos to it from one or both of your computers?

Computers: Funnily enough I have just bought a Vista laptop and it found all the other computers in my house without even trying! So I'm not sure what you have done exactly, what shows up when you go to: control panel>network and sharing centre>view network devices.

You should get your wireless router and any other computers connected to it if they are all setup to talk to the router properly. You won't see your PS3 there though!

a burnt one
there is a few things here I guess:

PS3: what are you trying to do with the PS3? Are you just trying to connect it to the internet? Or do you want to stream music/videos to it from one or both of your computers?

You should get your wireless router and any other computers connected to it if they are all setup to talk to the router properly. You won't see your PS3 there though!

Aye, im trying to stream music, pics, and videos from the laptop, the desktoip isnt in use much.

However the desktop sees the ps3 and i can connect to that no problem, but the desktop doesnt see the laptop and the laptop sees nothing.

I didnt really do much setting up with the laptop, i turned it on and it said wireless networks are available, to which i connected.

In the 'network sharing' menu i have everything turned on on both the desktop and laptop printer, media, files, public folder sharing.

I have tried connecting with the firewalls on and off but with no success.

a burnt one
have you setup any folders as shared folders yet?

I think so, i have dragged items into a shared folder.

Give more instructions for this bit mate as this may be where im failing, i have just managed to connect the laptop to printer and trying to figure where the print screen button is on the laptop to give you an idea of whats happening.

a burnt one
Untitled.gif

This is the screen from my laptop, which is the same as the desktop, i have no idea what the 'switch' device is.

DCi
alrighty

make a folder on your c drive, give it a name.
Then right click on it and choose properties
on the next menu you should see a tab called sharing
click on share, give it a name again and press add

if you then go start> network and nothing shows up, here is the next thing to try:

go: start> right click on computer> properties>look for 'computer name, domain and workgroup settings' > click change underneath> give both your PC's easy to remember names (Eg, desktop and laptop will be fine) and also make sure they are both in the same workgroup (just put network on both PC's)

You may have to restart them too.

after that see what shows up in the network screen, hopefully that should sort it :S

what happens if you double click gary PC?

DCi
just try something and see what happens:

stick a file in your shared folder on your laptop, then go on the desktop and go to start>run> then type in \\laptop\shared-folder-name

obviously switch the end of that for whatever you called your folder

and just see if it picks it up

a burnt one
Not much luck again, will go back to researching whatever google throws up, at least the printer is working wirelesly.

Thanks for youre patience, time and help Ian.

Ive got the same problem with my macbook and imac. I think i have something blocking it on the modem. Anyone know how i find out?

DCi
Not much luck again, will go back to researching whatever google throws up, at least the printer is working wirelesly.

Thanks for youre patience, time and help Ian.
you could try going to network and sharing on control panel and check everything on there is switched on.

it sounds like your desktop hasnt networked properly though but im not familiar enough with vista to know why