ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Never knew this MPG was possible

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I don't really understand Jaff's method above for calculating his economy :S

The only real factual way is to calculate old school; fill her up, measure miles driven, refill and divide the gallons taken to refill by the miles covered, mpg simple.

As Brown Bear says the 200 trip computer does not appear wholly accurate, mine reads around 2-3mpg lower than fact.

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
^^^

Do this method for calculating economy, I found on average I get 35 to 36 mpg on a tank. The trip always shows between 38 and 41!

I put a tenner in the other day just as my fuel light came on. The computer thing told me I had about 125 miles in the tank but about 10 miles later it's reading 98 miles. I didn't buy my Clio to be driving around slowly trying to get the best economy.

Town driving (work, friends, pub etc) I'll see about 250 miles to a tank and that usually involves quite a few 'spirited bursts'.

On the motorway I'll see anything from 38-45MPG. Usually have a range of 400miles + on the trip.

Edit: For the post above, your range will update according to your current MPG. So you may well have 120miles left coming down the motorway. Soon as you pull off and end up pootling along at 30-40mph, stopping at lights and pulling off etc your MPG and range will decrease :)

I deffinatley didn't buy mine for economy either but I have been reasonably impressed with how it's performed considering it'll shift if you kick it down a gear. Don't really have anything else to compare it to but the smile on my face is worth the £££ in petrol.

VaVa
I'd work it out properly, might even be more than the trip says! Mine hasn't budged from 28mpg, worked it out manually several times and I'm getting 33mpg average!

How can you claim that working it out 'manually' is more accurate than the computer?

You can't trust the gauge - besides it doesn't have anywhere near enough resolution. You can't tell exactly how much fuel is left in the tank when you fill up, so you have no way of knowing if you will be at your 'empty point' the next time you calculate your MPG.

The computer does not reset every time you fill up, so unless your calculated average is taken over the same time period (ie since your trip was reset last) then the two figures are incomparable.

Working it out by guessing that you've used exactly £10's worth of fuel, then quibbling over a couple of MPG is a bit silly imho.

Nimbus Megane R26
pfft im on 24mpg in my r26 now :(

shocking on fuel compared to my 182 i had. that would get 40mpg on the motorway at 75ish.. :(

Clio 200/Jag x-type
Economy exceptional on my 172, unless the missus is driving, travelled 40 miles the other day on an enforced 50mph restriction and peaked at 51mpg which it held til arrival at my destination.
Can anyone comment on the consumption for the new 200, as I shall be picking my new one up in 5 weeks!

M3 SMG
My trip always says around 31mpg for pure town driving with the odd 60mph blat on a dual carriageway.
I worked it out manual and was 31mpg.

Pretty accurate on my car!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Just did a 300 mile motorway trip and averaged 40.5 mpg sitting at 75 mph not bad for a performance car I must admit :)

Storm Grey 200
I was in no rush/low on fuel/curious.

I decided to sit behind a lorry from london to bath, and got an average of 52mpg. Saw it on that american show on tv, turns out it does work.

Discounted 1*2 parts
This was the combined mpg after 200+ miles in our DCI ;)

P1000468.jpg