ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 12" Alpine type X or DB Audio T Rex?? plus other audio.

ITB BG 182
Right, im currently in the process of upgrading my audio as i am no longer doing any track sessions.

I have a Inphase I2001D amp, which is actually quite good, only cost me £100 brand new.
An im running an old type R 1500w 10" sub, only thing is i am after more bass/punch.

So I've come down to the point of, do i go for the Type X or a T-rex?

I have heard a T-rex thump and its crazy buiness but how does the type x rate for bass and/or quality?

Im also upgrading from speakers to Focals 6.5 for the fronts and 5.25" in the rears and a Alpine HU but looking to change that as it does not have a high/low pass filter option.

Last edited by a moderator:
  ph1 172
What rms wattage is your amp? A type x is a healthy 1000rms watts speaker. I have a Vibe Space 12 1000rms watts that I want rid and an Alpine type x vented enclosure tuned at 32hz.
Really, you want to run as close to the speaker rms wattage as you can to get the most out of it and the best sound that it was designed to produce, with the higher end audio like this you can quite happily run slightly more watts through them so your not running the amp too hot.
Also, as for the front speakers, you want or have focals? Have you heard them? As I have some but would only ever run the fronts through a decent amp as they are a very precise speaker and personally I think you will only get half of their performance if you was to run them through a headunit.

ITB BG 182
The amp has over 2000rms at 1ohm, talking to the guy who helps design these amps said it can run 1000rms at 4ohms or 1300 rms at 2ohms in a stable rate.

I would have inphases speakers but they look s**t and dont sound as good with some thing half the power.
I have the focal access speakers for now just for some quality but might upgrade them in the near future and power them off a 4 channel.

ph1 172
If you was just to amp the focal's as they are that would make a good difference! The only worthy upgrade from them are around £500, which are the kr2 something...etc. 1000rms at 4ohms is good, will hit very hard.
If you need an enclosure for the type x or whatever you run, pm me. I also have a near new still in box space 12.

Monaro VXR
Many of the newer Alpines require the imprint addon for control of crossovers, T/A etc. Think you have to go right up to the high end units to not require that. Then it will need the software if you wish to try the actual imprint function out...which I have got to say works well if you know what you are doing.

With regard to subs...the DB audio stuff for the most part is boomy but not really that nice sounding. My friends car has DB subs in it yes it sounds loud, but it doesn't sound nice. Currently in the process of swapping it all out as I managed to talk him into getting something else.

The Type X is a good subwoofer to be honest, rate it over the DB any day. However have you thought about just building a new enclosure for the Type R? Enclosure is the main thing that will alter how it sounds. Unless you want more output then might be worth looking at picking up another 10" type R. They can sound pretty good in a decent box.

If you want a single sub might be worth going up to a decent 12" say something like an AA Havoc.

InPhase stuff is in my honest opinion...s**t. Been there done that wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

When it comes down to it though all about how it is installed and setup more than anything. Sound deadening is a must for the doors at least.

seat ibiza cupra
the inphase amp will not do those figure for a start

this is from there website

• 800w RMS x 1 @ 4Ω
  • 1200w RMS x 1 @ 2Ω
  • 2000w RMS x 1 @ 1Ω
then inphase is known to not do stated gigures, although as u say for £100 u cant moan but i can assure you fitting a better amp will give u much better sq.

as to the type x vs t rex, again as these are the brand that car audio centre sell and make a huge mark up on they will sell u either. if you want somethign that bangs and booms, look at brands like aa, dc, fi, dls. in a ported box tuned to anywhere from 28-40hz these will give you much more of a smile when u listen to it.

if u do the front components correctly and amp them rear speakers are not required.

pm me if u want more info on anythink and if ur interested i have a dc 15" subwoofer imselling which is £390 brand new. ill chat prices with u and no someone who will do u a custom box to ur spec and boot size!

Polo + Micra
what i can't get my head around is how you can get 2000wRMS out of an amp that has 3 x 25A fuses protecting it:S

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I have a Type X 10" running from a Jl Audio G-Max 1200 mono block , gives really nice punchy bass, doesn't hit the low that i want, but I'm running it in a very small box, so that might make the difference. Not heard of the T-rex, but would recommend a type x to anyone.

ITB BG 182
the inphase amp will not do those figure for a start

this is from there website

• 800w RMS x 1 @ 4Ω
  • 1200w RMS x 1 @ 2Ω
  • 2000w RMS x 1 @ 1Ω
then inphase is known to not do stated gigures, although as u say for £100 u cant moan but i can assure you fitting a better amp will give u much better sq.

as to the type x vs t rex, again as these are the brand that car audio centre sell and make a huge mark up on they will sell u either. if you want somethign that bangs and booms, look at brands like aa, dc, fi, dls. in a ported box tuned to anywhere from 28-40hz these will give you much more of a smile when u listen to it.

if u do the front components correctly and amp them rear speakers are not required.

pm me if u want more info on anythink and if ur interested i have a dc 15" subwoofer imselling which is £390 brand new. ill chat prices with u and no someone who will do u a custom box to ur spec and boot size!
Ok, whats a DC 15?

Im trying to stay to a 12" max single, simply because i have work stuff like boots that has to go in the boot and then some times i also have bits on the back seat also.

Cost wise i did well with the amp, its some thing like £400 in the shops, i dont really worry about 2 or 4 ohm at the moment as im just getting set up.

Been to a store in Mansfield that Bennet advised me to go to, had subs from SVL? and RE Audio SXX?

Polo + Micra
imho i'd be looking at a dual 4 ohm RE Audio sxx and just hope your amp holds together

ITB BG 182
The inphase amps seem fine to handle power, i know their speakers are s**t an blow with a bit of amp'age.
There is some one round here running a orion hcca 15" off the 2001d amps.

seat ibiza cupra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r17sRFpt7qc

dc audio level 4 15 but two of them. there ace lol
you need to know what ohm etc your cus and amps are to get best results.

imho a dual 4 is pointless, why not have the dual 2 or a 1 ohm sub, and play it liek its meant to be played.
what is your total budget and what does that budget need to buy u?
pm me if u want a chat more!

Polo + Micra

imho a dual 4 is pointless, why not have the dual 2 or a 1 ohm sub, and play it liek its meant to be played.

if your going to go silly get RE Audio XXX like this

so you going to wire the dual 1 ohm to 0.5 and spend a million £ on an amp that can take that sort of load:S

ITB BG 182

My budget is, if i like it I'll buy it upto £350-400.
I would go for dual subs but i need boot space too.

seat ibiza cupra
if your going to go silly get RE Audio XXX like this

so you going to wire the dual 1 ohm to 0.5 and spend a million £ on an amp that can take that sort of load:S

if you notice i put a dual 2, or a 1 ohm didnt say dual 1, and i know of people who play at .5 ohm. i would personally though
and if your going big boy stuff really you looking fi btl or smd

Polo + Micra
trust me show that amp 1 ohm and it'll s**t itself and the output FET's will emit the magical blue smoke

and who are fi btl and smd :S

Polo + Micra
never heard of those Fi subs but they look like they are pretty good value for custom made subs :approve:

but i guess it's about the same for delivery as they don't look light lol