ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 182 top mounts, spacer needed?

Hi guys,

Apologies as I know this has been asked a few times but I don't have a clear answer.

I've bought the new style top mounts for my 182. Link

Will there be an issue fitting/driving as I haven't bought a new spacer nut? Link

What would happen I used the old style separate nut & spacer with the new style top mounts?

Thanks

Gareth

Clio sport 182
Hi guys,

Apologies as I know this has been asked a few times but I don't have a clear answer.

I've bought the new style top mounts for my 182. Link

Will there be an issue fitting/driving as I haven't bought a new spacer nut? Link

What would happen I used the old style separate nut & spacer with the new style top mounts?

Thanks

Gareth
Hello mate,

Hope you have managed to get a good fit...I didn't!

I got the modified spacer, still not good (in fact it was worse!)

Heard good things about the Febi strut tops so fitting them tomorrow...fingers crossed!!

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Hello mate,

Hope you have managed to get a good fit...I didn't!

I got the modified spacer, still not good (in fact it was worse!)

Heard good things about the Febi strut tops so fitting them tomorrow...fingers crossed!!
Do you have a link to the Febi ones?

Ive got a new set of top mounts to fit but the spacer/nut issue seems a common one. Where does the spacer fit?

Clio sport 182
I used the Febi rubber mount with genuine Renault top mount dish.

I got technical with engineers blue, Vernier caliper a, micrometer, grinder, dremel and file. 🤣

I took 2mm off of the bottom of the spacer, 3 mm off of the top and 2 mm of thread out too.

It allowed the nut to tighten onto the bearing, the rubber mount to sit just tight enough the allow the bearing without excessive slack and then allow enough clearance on the top mount 'dish' to clear the body. No knocks and bangs. Soooo much better than before, sticks like s**t!

Febi mounts....

Use original spacers and half nuts.

Renault mounts (forgot part number but it ends with R)...

Require new spacer to ensure correct set up. However I still ended up with rubbish steering set up 😱

In the end I resorted to getting technical and as described above, 5mm of material removed in the right places resulted in a quality set up for me 👍👍

Last edited:

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers (y)
I’ve got a set of Febi mounts coming, so I’ll try and knock something up between the genuine and Febi set.

Bloody nightmare haha!

Clio sport 182
Tell me about it...I suffered with shocking suspension for months!

I changed both front bearings, inner AND outer tie rods, wishbones AND ball joints, anti roll bushes and cleats, two new front tyres, an abs/wheel speed sensor and tracking redone for good measure 🤣

Good Luck 👍👍