ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 182 with 5th Gear Problem

Just wondered if anyone else has had a problem with 5th in their new 182s?

As soon as I left the garage I noticed a whine noise when in 5th gear (similar to an airoplane taxi-ing). Throttle appeared to make no difference to the noise which also (oddly?) got more noticable the slower the car was going in 5th. I assumed it was a new-car thing and would probably go away.

Anyway, last night I took the car a 100 mile run to see if 5th would bed-in. I now have a much worse noise (almost griding) whenever I apply the throttle in 5th. ... and I still have the whining noise without throttle!! I am now avoiding 5th until Renault have taken a look!

Sound familiar to anyone?

Craig

5th gear is a seperate shaft on the the box. I think Jay on here has changed a few before so maybe a bit of a common problem. Its probably some sort of bearing

When I mentioned this to Renault on Saturday (before the second noise!) he mentioned this ... hopefully a quick fix then???

forgot who it was now but there was someone who had their gearbox replaced on the 182 a couple of weeks after getting it. ill try find the thread

Orange 182

I know its a bit of a ball-ache Craig... I was so fed up when it happened to mine. However the good news is that your dealer will simply replace the gearbox as recommended by renault UK. Mine went in for two days and it was actually ready after 1 day except they had to then sort my oxygen sensor (which u dont have to worry about).

Since mine was replaced the car has been fine mate, so get it booked in and a day later youll be sorted (crosses fingers) ;).

Pete.

Ah there you are! :)

Just been looking through your posts (hope you dont mind!) to see what happened. Did the lumpiness problem go away with the second box or did you just learn to live with it?

I have to say that appart from the hideous noise it drives beautifully! (including fifth) .. hot or cold.

Cheers for the encouragement anyhow!

Craig

Orange 182

Well the noise has completely gone with the new box. However, the box is still a bit lumpy when cold, only for the first minute or so in the morning then its smooth as. I posetd about this tho and it appears to be a feature of many Renault gearboxes... the noise is a definite problem tho and needs to be replaced as it will start binding the more miles you do (mine did).

Peetah.

Well top marks for the dealer so far (Wolverhampton). They agreed to see me immediately and as soon as I arrived they took someone off the floor to test drive the car with me.

They feel in my case it might be just the fifth gear hence not requiring a full box change. I know many might prefer the full box change but to be honest all the other gears are PERFECT ... I have *never* had any noise in other gears (which I think was a bit different for you Pete?).

Anyway, they also have arranged to take the car Wednesday and take a courtesy car from sales as they had none available themselves until June!

Fingers crossed!

Craig