ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New and looking for a car!

172cup
Seems decent mate but for an extra 500 you could have my 182 with cup pack.

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1246598.htm

Advice, ensure services are done regular and the cambelt and aux belt has been done. Also check the suspension springs and shocks have recently been checked. Interior will be pretty robust apart from steering wheel they can melt!

Can't stretch unfortunately as the payout from the write off is all I have. Very nice car though.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Seems a decent buy. Thought I got my excellent condition silver 172 with FSH, and cambelts done 48k on the clock, standard and a 2002 plate for £3500; and that was a good by in my opinion

I would want some more details about the alloys and check that it really does have full service history (it does not mention this on the advert - saying it has lots of receipts is often people trying to make up for lack of service history). The Cambelt has been done which is great as that’s £500-£800 to have changed. I saw so many 172's advertised as FSH but it was only on mileage i.e. the car is 8 years old and only done 48k, so they claim the cambelt is not due until 72k, even though its 3 years overdue as should have been done at 5 yrs old; thus ripe to go and cause some hefty engine damage! Its worth checking out the auxiliary belt has been done too.

Don't be fooled by that list of optional extras, they are all standard on the 172

Black Clio GT
looks a nice motor and good milage for its age. start bidding him 3k and he will prob take 3.5k for it!!
is the splitter missing or is that part of the cup pack??!!

Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful.

@mat-nos - I was definitely considering coming in lower because come xmas it's going to need an MOT and who knows what will pop up. It's really the only thing putting me off this at the moment.

If anyone knows of any other good examples for sale please let me know. Thanks

Iceberg Ph1
Looks tidy to me.. but like others have already mentioned... ask about the service history... Also if you do buy it, get rid of that filter.. Talk about heat soak! Ph1 air box FTW!

GL looking mate.. Sometimes it worth holding out for that little longer...

P.s.. You got your heart set on getting a Ph2 172?

Yes I've got my heart set on one :)

I will hold out as long as possible, but as mentioned this is a replacement for my car which was wrote off, so I don't have the luxury of another car to use in the meantime and I need something for work.

Iceberg Ph1
Ph1 aint called a 'PH-Quick' for nothing ya know :rasp:

Either way there both awesome cars... may I suggest perhaps paying for the membership? £10 and you can view the for sale cars, I think there are a few knocking about.. Plus if you getting one anyways its worth it! Free key ring and all ;)

I just received a reply about the service history regarding the 172 in my first post.

its an import model, there are loads of them which were shipped from Europe, this means there is no service history, but previous mots etc paperwork to back up mileage. and its been serviced regularly and cambelt changed

Iceberg Ph1
I couldn't really advise you tooo well, but I have heard that the EU imports are no different to the standard UK versions.

Please do not take that as gospel.. Hopefully someone else more clued up will pipe up soon!

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
no service history because its and import! do other countries not service their cars!!!!

how do you know its never been serviced other than trust. Why have old MOT's but not invoices for services?

I would want hard proof that the cambelt had be done.

I could be wrong but i think there is a difference or two with the imports in terms of the set of toys inside it has. I could be wrong though

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Bulls**t. Mine was an import and had service history. If there aren't receipts for each service walk away on that one.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
And it won't of been serviced abroad, they were on delivery miles when imported! Every service should of been carried out in the uk.

Iceberg Ph1
I could be wrong but i think there is a difference or two with the imports in terms of the set of toys inside it has. I could be wrong though

Perhaps.. but like I said I couldn't give you sound advice on the difference if any

And it won't of been serviced abroad, they were on delivery miles when imported! Every service should of been carried out in the uk.

That's true. I did not think of that.. Something sounds a miss..

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Cambelt's haven't been done on that black one, no good to me.

@scalesy - I'm not really interested in the cup version as I want all the toys :)

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Not that you need to ask but ask for an overview of scratches, dints, condition of alloys, is there still a spare wheel etc. There is no mention of condition which for a dealer normally means its nothing to shout about otherwise they would

Clio 172 Cup!
Cambelt's haven't been done on that black one, no good to me.

@scalesy - I'm not really interested in the cup version as I want all the toys :)

89kgs is a lot its like a 14 Lad sat in your car! :eek: Each to his own and all that but the Cup will hold its Price for a lot longer than the fat 172! The Cup is the moden Willie in my eyes!

Hope you find a minter m8;)

Iceberg Ph1
That is one sexy mint looking flamer! What's wrong with the coilovers mate?

See you lifted your budget.. The car on PH looks pretty decent also.. (obviously pictures are not as good as seeing it)

It's not practical for me. I sometimes carry a heavy load. Also, doesn't it effect the handling?

Iceberg Ph1
It's not practical for me. I sometimes carry a heavy load. Also, doesn't it effect the handling?

Can be raised.. Coilovers are adjustable.. as for ride, MAYBE a little bumpier, but the handling will improve untold!

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
The monaco blue looks alright. Again check the ticket on the MOT and tax and that is proper full service history, so many low mileage ones have had it done on mileage only and not age. if it has all those things and its as described it all looks good on first impressions

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
I'd query about the exhaust either as thats not standard and might be itneresting for you to know what theyve done to it.