ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New build TV aerial help please!

Monaco 53/468
Struggling with this having no previous experience and not wanting to spend £150 having someone in to do it!..

Moved into a new build over the weekend and need to install an aerial in the loft. There is a single aerial cable taped to a rafter, then a couple of rafters down there's a bunch of three aerial cables taped together. There are two aerial sockets in the house, one in lounge, one in a bedroom.

Which cable do I fit the aerial to!? May seem a stupid question but I haven't a clue! Currently using a crappy small thing straight off the tele and getting very few channels.

SQ5
First thing you need to know is if the aerial has a masthead amplifier. You'll see a small black box on the mast with two cables going in and out. If so you need a masthead power supply, about £15. Then from here into a 4 way distribution amplifier.

If not connect the aerial feed straight in to a 4 way distribution amplifier.

Ideally you'll want a Wolsely one with F Connector connections, eBay about £20.

From there you can then plug in the other cables that go off to the other rooms and you'll have TV on all of them.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
But thats not always required, right?

Mums loft just has a standard Ariel with the signal split into 3 using F-Connectors and splitters. No power at all.
Works perfectly.

My flat has a powered system, which was here when i moved in.

SQ5
It's not no, but you'll find you'll get a better signal with a bit of power in the system, and it's the "proper" way to do it.

Is she fairly close to a mast? Or is she still on Analogue?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
About 15 miles as the crow flies from the CP transmitter. Digital.

renault clio 182
pay someone to do it and stop being a cheapskate, youl only **** it up, and dont listen to the advice DannyR is giving you, he obviousy doesnt have a scooby doo! you need a 4 way f splitter to connect the T.V points, if you fit an amp it will overload your system, and having too much signal is as bad as having not enough.

This all has to be set up and balanced with a signal meter, bodging it yourself will only cause you problems in the long run, leave it to the pros

Last edited by a moderator:
  renault clio 182
if you do get a company to do it make sure theyre CAI, RDI LB and Trading standards approved, if they are you wont have any problems and youl pay a fair price.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
pay someone to do it and stop being a cheapskate, youl only **** it up, and dont listen to the advice DannyR is giving you, he obviousy doesnt have a scooby doo! you need a 4 way f splitter to connect the T.V points, if you fit an amp it will overload your system, and having too much signal is as bad as having not enough.

This all has to be set up and balanced with a signal meter, bodging it yourself will only cause you problems in the long run, leave it to the pros

Are you having a joke? DannrR is 100% correct! You can use a splitter if you want all sorts of feedback and signal loss, but the correct way to do it is with a distribution amplifier, which doesn't 'overload' or necessarily 'boost' the signal. It just makes sure each output (ie each room), receives 100% of what the areal is receiving. A lot of distribution amplifiers will have attenuation controls anyway so you can tweak the signal amplification.

SQ5
That's fairly close Tom so that's probably why she has no problems.

Wilson, in what your saying is true, too much signal will degrade the signal. But from a masthead and distribution amp your not going to over load. TV amp I stated above gives about an 8dB gain.

You'll only overload if you go through your sky, VCR and other bits of equipment and live within 20 miles of the transmitter. In saying that though our systems usually go Aerial > RF Modulater (CCTV) > Sky Box(s) (> combiner) > TV Amplifier and we rarely see a problem with any overload of signal.

Considering in CEDIA certified I would like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Monaco 53/468
Ok, thanks all for your replies. Think it would be wise for me to just get someone in!

What we talking, £100? £150

SQ5
4 way TV amp and some F plugs is about £25-30. If aerial all ready there your laughing.

Where in UK are you?

What DannyR said.

Try get a variable mast head as it all really depends what signal you're getting off air.

Ive been in the trade for 12 years so if you need anymore advice fire me a PM.