ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new cambelt kit, rattling / tapping

wpd

clio
1.2 16v ph2 clio 54 plate
gates timing kit inc belt, idler, water pump
genuine renault crankshaft stretch bolt replaced

after fitting gates kit cam belt moved out a little from the top pulley and bottom pulley and was rubbing on mid cover? guess thats how the belt wants to sit? belt reomved, everything refitted to no avail. washer installed and no longer rubbing, now there is a rattling / whine noise coming from water pump? screw driver against ear says its not coming from any cam belt covers, alternator or ac compressor but water pump. whine gets louder the higher the rpm (of course).
Noise did not come straight away.. after re fitting the timing belt with a washer on the cover and a new crank shaft pulley bolt all was fine, no noises. left it to idle for a while maybe about 15 minutes? out on the test drive maybe 5/10 minutes down the road it started to make rubbing noise like it was rubbing on the covers again, inspected and belt had plenty of clearance, not rubbing but found using screwdriver against ear the horrible rubbing noise or tapping / whine was coming from the water pump.

any ideas on what to do? i am furious with the thought of having to take the engine mount and all the covers and belts off again, drain the cooling system and buy more to re fill it to replace a water pump which might be just as bad.

One thing i did notice was after test drive the idler markers? the two holes that you line up had moved. same as this thread http://www.cliosport.net/threads/1-2-16v-tensioner-pointer-moving.751622/#post-11159166
is that normal when the engine gets up to temperature?

All bolts have been torqued to specifications using haynes manual (including timing belt covers!) which includes idler, the pointers were lined up perfectly when they were set the first time and re-set.

Thanks

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Hey, with mine once it has warmed up and gets higher up the rev range it has this whining sound like a supercharger. Sounds like the belt has been over tensioned, which annoys me because when I did it I followed every instruction exactly as it was explained and everything was fine when I put it all back together. I took off the covers a while back, nothing was rubbing or anything, belt looked fine but like I mentioned in the other post the tensioner indexing window pointer had shifted slightly in the window.

To be honest i'm sure it's supposed to do that but it still doesn't fix the whining, don't know if the tensioner is just crap or if it's coming from the waterpump etc.. I mean the car has been going fine for 2 years now no issues but still annoys me that it just doesn't sound like I think it's supposed to sound lol. Tempted to do it again beginning of next year and use the original kit instead of that gates powergrip one.

wpd

clio
Hey, with mine once it has warmed up and gets higher up the rev range it has this whining sound like a supercharger. Sounds like the belt has been over tensioned, which annoys me because when I did it I followed every instruction exactly as it was explained and everything was fine when I put it all back together. I took off the covers a while back, nothing was rubbing or anything, belt looked fine but like I mentioned in the other post the tensioner indexing window pointer had shifted slightly in the window.

To be honest i'm sure it's supposed to do that but it still doesn't fix the whining, don't know if the tensioner is just crap or if it's coming from the waterpump etc.. I mean the car has been going fine for 2 years now no issues but still annoys me that it just doesn't sound like I think it's supposed to sound lol. Tempted to do it again beginning of next year and use the original kit instead of that gates powergrip one.

I too have the gates powergrip one, and the exact same has happened to me. once it gets up to temperature it starts to whine and the tensioner moves which its supposed to. what i've managed to track it down to is the water pump, take a long screw driver and place it against the water pump and your ear, you will hear the whining.
i think when the block warms up and expands the impeller may be rubbing against it? ill see when it comes off again, putting the old water pump back on oem renault, looks new anyway so it cant have been changed long ago..

ill let you know what happens

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Nice one dude, I'll probably do mine again next year or the year after as that will be like 4/5 years. Car has been running fine for over 2 years and it's just my run about to work. But it's annoying knowing that I did everything correctly but it just doesn't seem 100% right lol. It just seems to happen when the engine is warm and you can hear it noticeably above 3000rpm.

This is kind of what mine sounds like after 3000rpm when hot, maybe not as bad but it's similar. That whiney noise when he revs the engine.

wpd

clio
Nice one dude, I'll probably do mine again next year or the year after as that will be like 4/5 years. Car has been running fine for over 2 years and it's just my run about to work. But it's annoying knowing that I did everything correctly but it just doesn't seem 100% right lol. It just seems to happen when the engine is warm and you can hear it noticeably above 3000rpm.

This is kind of what mine sounds like after 3000rpm when hot, maybe not as bad but it's similar. That whiney noise when he revs the engine.

safe to say i will NEVER be buying another gates kit again, utter crap quality. bearings failed on the first pump and on the replacement pump, its like they put no grease in it at all, same goes for the idler. rubbish quality, will be buying oem one shortly and very angrily installing it. whos idea was it to bury it under the engine mounts anyway???

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
I was wondering, I just seen this video. Does your tensioner move and bounce back when you apply pressure on the belt run like in this video? When I apply pressure on mine the tensioner doesn't move. If it's the case that it is supposed to move it's probably the reason why mine sounds like it's over tensioner when at higher rpm

renault clio 1.4 16v
it should move, that way its always keeping tension, if its locked solid then it may be too tight...

wpd

clio
I was wondering, I just seen this video. Does your tensioner move and bounce back when you apply pressure on the belt run like in this video? When I apply pressure on mine the tensioner doesn't move. If it's the case that it is supposed to move it's probably the reason why mine sounds like it's over tensioner when at higher rpm

Yes it should move, im currently using the old tensioner until I buy another one, shall get on the phone to renault shortly.
Have you torqued the tensioner to the correct spec from the haynes manual? It's also possible the bearings have seized.