ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New camera dilema

Cupra
A good friend of mine has offered me the chance to buy a new Canon 5D mkII for a bargain price (35% discount!)

In order to be able to buy it, I would have to sell pretty much all the gear that I have already. It would be ace to have a full frame camera and IMHO, the 5D mkII would not need replacing any time soon with 21MP images, Full HD video, ultra high ISO etc etc etc.

I would be left with a 24-105 as my sole lens. On a full frame that should be wide enough not to warrant having an UWA, but will be shorter at 105mm than it is on my 40D, which means needing a longer lens too at some stage.

I think my wife will probably cut my balls off if I went through with it but this really is too good an opportunity to miss *keep trying to talk myself into it* !

I am trying to justify this to myself, and know that a few people on here have done similar things for the D90's etc. Anybody have any regrets stepping away from a full camera bag with a lens for every occasion to something more minimal?

On a not unrelated note, anybody fancy buying a 40D with all the trimmings? ;)

Last edited:
Tough choice - depends what you shoot I guess, and whether you can live with just one lens for a bit.....

What lenses have you currently got for the 40D?

If you purchased your gear before the price rises do it, you should get what you paid fairly easily or take little loss. If you can live with one lens then go for it, had similar thoughts to sell everything and pick up an older 5D. Saying that I'd only jump at full frame if I could get some juicy primes on top...

Cupra
Tough choice - depends what you shoot I guess, and whether you can live with just one lens for a bit.....

What lenses have you currently got for the 40D?

Mostly family/ portraits and landscape.

Lenses at the minute are:

Tokina 12-24 f4 (Crop sensor lens)
Sigma 30mm f1.4 (Crop sensor lens)
Canon 24-105 f4L IS USM ABCBBQ
Canon 70-200 f4L
As well as a 430 EX and the BG-E2N grip.

I would be getting shot of everything except the 430EX potentially...including selling the 24-105 to replace it with another one as the 5D mkII deal comes with one.

The 24mm on the full frame would be the equivalent of 16mm on the 40D so that is plenty wide enough to live with day to day. It is just the long end that I would be after, but I can also pick up a 100-400 L with a 30% reduction too.... The bonus is, that second hand prices are way above what I am paying for this kit, so I can always sell it all for a profit should I need to.

See, totally sold myself into it, now for the wife.....

Cupra
If you purchased your gear before the price rises do it, you should get what you paid fairly easily or take little loss. If you can live with one lens then go for it, had similar thoughts to sell everything and pick up an older 5D. Saying that I'd only jump at full frame if I could get some juicy primes on top...

I have had it all for a while. Most lenses I bought second hand so would be able to make a small profit on even.

The only real hit I would be taking is on the 40D body. But €400 in a year and a bit is not too bad.

In an ideal world I would have the 50 f1.2, 85 f1,2 and the 135 f2.0 with the 100-400 or 70-200 f2.8 with a 2x converter. That would mean selling the kids off though and I don't think the wife will go for it.

It just seems a bit extreme to spend so much on a hobby, but I have already invested the cash, I would just be trading in what I have for something else..... meh, going to see what else I can sell to fund this one.

It just seems a bit extreme to spend so much on a hobby, but I have already invested the cash, I would just be trading in what I have for something else..... meh, going to see what else I can sell to fund this one.

Nah - it pretty easy to rack up the sums on photo equipment quickly. Plus as you say you've already made the investment, now you're just rearranging some of the assets in your portfolio ;)

Look forward to hearing how the trade goes - providing the business case get past the wife!

Cupra
It is but I am based in Holland. Sorry dude!

Wife was not against the idea... now I have to sell all my kit. :D

Mk2 ph1 clio
Damn! nevermind! Enjoy the 5D! :cool:

Only thing putting me off that is the FPS, Id rather go for the 1d mk11 simply because its better for what i shoot!

Cupra
Wish I had these kind of dilemmas :dapprove:

p.s I hate you. :p

Cheers matey. ;)

After much debating, the order is being placed on Monday. I am keeping the 40D and lenses until I am sure that the 5D is worth it. If not, I'll sell it on for a tidy profit. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about with full frame. :)