ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New camera!

Skoda Fabia VRS
So after realising there's an actual Photography thread, I shall post in here! I've just purchased myself a Canon 750D, with 18-55mm lens attachment. I've been chatting with a local lad who takes outstanding pictures of cars (imo), I'll post a few below.

057bfac0a6.jpg

b42c9cd00a.jpg

0e983151a1.jpg

He talked me into what type of Camera as a starter, and what sort of lens would benefit me the most. I've not used any sort of Camera like the one I've purchased before, so I'm just after some tips. Is it best to just 'dive' into it, and get used to the camera at first? Or take steps and progressively learn each feature and different setting?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
nice camera for you first DLSR, i'm sure it's got a flip LCD screen, will you be using it for cars too like? First thing i would do is use the AV button, the camera will adjust the shutter speed and you cantrol the aperture (depth of field) low f number more blur higher f number less blur. If your going to capture cars, from what i've seen on youtube you need to have a sense of motion of the subject like on the first pic, you'll need a slow shutter speed for the sake of argument 1/125 sec. I haven't taken any pics of cars on the move so other people on here will help you more.

Here's a good youtube channel to look at, use the search on his channel to look for what your after
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs4S07E5NC0R7pVuzBJ0e8Q

Skoda Fabia VRS
nice camera for you first DLSR, i'm sure it's got a flip LCD screen, will you be using it for cars too like? First thing i would do is use the AV button, the camera will adjust the shutter speed and you cantrol the aperture (depth of field) low f number more blur higher f number less blur. If your going to capture cars, from what i've seen on youtube you need to have a sense of motion of the subject like on the first pic, you'll need a slow shutter speed for the sake of argument 1/125 sec. I haven't taken any pics of cars on the move so other people on here will help you more.

Here's a good youtube channel to look at, use the search on his channel to look for what your after
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs4S07E5NC0R7pVuzBJ0e8Q
Thanks for the response, I've noticed you're quite the photographer in one of the threads, gorgeous pictures. I'll be using it mainly for cars, majority of that being still shots, but I do quite like rolling shots so that'll be something to look into. I've literally just jumped up from a Lumix digital camera, which is fairly good for what it is! But I want to expand my photo's, and of course with that an upgrade was needed.

I'll be sure to check out the channel, Thankyou! :)

Once you've got to grips with the camera, and you've found a focus length you're happy with, the first thing you'll want to do is change the lens. I remember when I first got my Canon 500D with a kit lens, I thought it was brilliant. Then I bought myself a Sigma 17-50 (covers almost the same focal length), and I was blown away by the images produced in comparison.

But first, learn the camera and get a feel for what it can do. The kit lens alone will be a huge step up over what you had.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Once you've got to grips with the camera, and you've found a focus length you're happy with, the first thing you'll want to do is change the lens. I remember when I first got my Canon 500D with a kit lens, I thought it was brilliant. Then I bought myself a Sigma 17-50 (covers almost the same focal length), and I was blown away by the images produced in comparison.

But first, learn the camera and get a feel for what it can do. The kit lens alone will be a huge step up over what you had.
I look forward to it. I'll be learning from step one, as I'm still unsure of quite a lot of the specifications the camera holds. But then again, as you said, learn the camera at first then see what sort of things it's capable of. What sort of differences would there be by switching from the lens I've bought the camera with, and the Sigma 17-50?

Joe.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Thanks for the response, I've noticed you're quite the photographer in one of the threads, gorgeous pictures. I'll be using it mainly for cars, majority of that being still shots, but I do quite like rolling shots so that'll be something to look into. I've literally just jumped up from a Lumix digital camera, which is fairly good for what it is! But I want to expand my photo's, and of course with that an upgrade was needed.

I'll be sure to check out the channel, Thankyou! :smile:

thanks for looking but but, still far from being any good lol. Only been doing it for 8 months now. I would try and take the pictures late in the day for best lighting don't want a good picture of the car and got burnt out sky in the background, overcast days and use the natural lighting or if you want invest in some lighting equipment, reflectors to redirect light. I read that a mobile phone spotlight/torch was used to light up a car at night and only that and was on a front cover of a mag, imagination is the way forward being different form other people.

Check out this website http://www.ambientlife.co.uk/section208954.html , i'm watching Kelbyone on youtube and it is absolutely awesome especially The Grid.

Last edited: