ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Canon 100D & 700D

Was expecting to see a 60D replacement...

But we have the 100D and 700D.

Introducing the NEW Canon EOS 100D
We are excited to announce that at 5am today Canon launched their new entry level DSLR - the EOS 100D. Billed as the worlds' smallest and lightest DSLR it's the perfect accompaniment to those who want to document their life with high-quality photos and videos. This diminutive 18 megapixel camera is fully equipped with handy technology such as intuitive touch-screen controls, an optical viewfinder, creative filters and Scene Intelligent Auto. For the movie fanatic there is full 1080p HD recording with a Hybrid CMOS AF II for continuous focusing. For those budding video-editors there is also the ability to create and edit clip sequences in-camera using Video Snapshot.

Canon EOS 100D Body Only £569
Canon EOS 100D + 18-55mm IS STM £699
Canon EOS 100D + 18-55 IS STM and 40mm STM £859

Introducing the NEW Canon EOS 700D
Also at 5am today Canon launched the new EOS 700D - this model is aimed at those looking to step up their photography and video creativity. Housing an 18 megapixel sensor, 9-point AF and 5 fps continuous shooting it can capture all the action! There’s room to explore new shooting angles too thanks to its large 3.0” Clear-View II vari-angle touch screen and not to be phased by low light situations either with its ISO of 12,800 (expands to ISO 25,600).

Canon EOS 700D Body Only £619
Canon EOS 700D + 18-55mm IS STM £749
Canon EOS 700D + 18-135 IS STM £929
Canon EOS 700D + 18-135mm IS STM and 55-250mm IS £979
Canon EOS 700D + 18-135mm IS STM and 40mm STM £1089

700D does seem a bit pricey - especially the 18-135 kit. Not thatfar of my K5IIs and thats a different beast all together.

Still... these prices are bound to drop.

Nothing stands out that much from the 650D from what I can see. Seems such a small change.

100D might be quite popular for those seeking a small camera I guess.

25 ISO is pretty swish though.... Still, for £620 it's not worth it IMO.

Also found some pics for those interested.

Sorry for the sizes - hot linked like a baws.

100D VS 700D in size:

666-canon-eos-100d-vs-700d-10_1363807417.jpg

Another one, next to a 650D:

original.jpg

Image credit: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/03/ca...en-down-beginner-dslr-youve-been-waiting-for/

The 100D looks far too small for me, but then again I can't get on with anything smaller than the xxD series.

700D? sounds a bit like the 40D with a better ISO and different screen, only one came out in 2007!! give me one of those instead & a wad of change.

As for the 100D, if you want something that small get a CSC like the eos M or micro 4/3 that offer smaller lenses too.

G51 BEN
I think the 100D would make a good holiday lens if I'm honest. Nice and compact, has all the features you would need from an Entry level DSLR

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
one very expensive small setup imo

seems to be small step changes from previous models and huge price hikes on the XXXD series as well, stick with the second hand market imo :)

Sorry but the 100D with touch screen, 1080p video, etc.... with a 40mm pancake lens would be AWESOME

It's what the EOS M should have been - but it was a fecking turd. Worst camera I've ever owned

7D MKII is looking at being summer with revamped 100mm-400mm

I don't particularly think more AF points is better, most people don't know how to use 9 properly lol

Agree with you there Phil, I jsut cant see the need for so many focus points for my type of shooting,. Mine only has 11 lol.

my 7D had 19 I think it was and that was more than enough

Really if you have 40 AF points then you're probably leaving it to auto select

I understand that cross-focus points help gain a focus quicker but still... it's hardly a deal breaker for most people

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah admittedly I never use all 39 points on mine, especially since they're all packed together in the centre, but still, cameras are all about the specs bragging rights these days to market them.

I don't see how this camera is an improvement over the 650D, and in sensor terms a 550D-c'mon Canon.

I would say its not just the number of points but the speed and accuracy of the af system, canons full frame 6D only has one* af point but its a very accurate f2.8 one. * not many more anyway!

I don't think the new small slr with pancake will make a good combo because firstly there are already plenty of smaller, cheaper and better cameras with larger sensors and secondly 40mm equates to 64 mm full frame equivalent which is a very odd focal length to be rocking.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I quite like the idea of the 100D, if you want a smaller DSLR or a starter DSLR it's great and the ergonomics exceed CSC's by far as well as the overall ease of use-some of the simplistic design ethos's of CSC's compromise the ease of use and some of the menu systems can get extremely convoluted, more namely the Sony NEX's.