ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car needs some TLC

Countryman JCW
Hi all,

Ive just bought myself a Seat Arosa TDI (black) and the paintwork is in need of some TLC.

The lacquer has faded in parts, and there are plenty of swirl marks. What i need to know as ive never really been a polisher is, what do i need to buy to get this all sorted and have the paint work in a decent state.

My idea of a car wash is... bug/tar remover, normal garden hose, bucket of warm water and car shampoo, then a chamois at the end.

Not looking to spend a fortune or get too carried away but any help would be much appreciated

Countryman JCW
Ok thanks for the reply, as you said that should be good for the basic wash, but ideally im looking at what i need to bring the paint back to a decent standard, something to bring the lacquer back to life.

Any suggestions?

Depends how much you want to spend.

1) buy all the gear and do it yourself if you are going to continue looking after it.

2) pay a pro to do the machine work then adopt a good washing routine

a decent polisher will set you back £100 + and that's without the polish/pads etc

Countryman JCW
Yeah thats a little more than i was looking to pay. I might see if i can borrow a machine polisher off someone. More than happy to put in the elbow grease needed but dont want to spend a fortune as the car was bought on a budget and to save money, hence it being an eco friendly motor lol! any money i do spend on the car is going to be maintenance costs for servicing.

So buying some kind of paint renovator like the auto glym one is a bad idea? or some poor boys wax?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
If your not really into car cleaning I wouldn't go attacking the paintwork with a machine, Personally I'd get it addressed by a pro or an experienced member on here.