ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car with some road use

Mk4 vw r32. Clio 182
Good morning

So I have a 182 that's used to get me to work 2 miles a day tops but is used more for a track car to have some fun in.

Ive just done Oulton park and noticed it was very slippery and wanted to slide into almost all the bends, I've since realised that the tyres are shagged, also the brakes gadded very quickly so i basically had no brakes for most of it which was different i must say

I think a brake change is in order, what do you guys suggest, i must admit i brake late and hard so i want something that's not going to fade, suggestions please?

also suspension what's the best, I'm as tite as a badgers arse so i don't want to be spending mega money. i was thinking a good spring, i don't care about road ride its all about the track stiffness. is it worth saving for coilovers or just good spring?
It has a lot roll I've found, its got a rear cage so would a strut bar help out or do you guys just think it needs some better suspension?

so yeah brakes and suspension help please guys
thanks in advance

I use ds1.11 on the road which work great. Aslong as they are bed in properly and you dont feather the brakes everywhere you go they will be fine, they will start to squeal if you do and wear down the pad deposit on the discs (I assume it does anyway)
Ive used them in all weathers too and they are still intact, no crumbling or anything. Just dont get them super hot when its wet then immediately let the car sit, although you wont have that problem on the road so much

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
If you are going to strip the car out you will not want springs and standard dampers. You will complain the car sits too high
(It will raise as the chassis is lightened)

Save up for some coilovers and get a firm spring rate. BC Racing coilovers are very well priced. You will want a 9kg front spring minimum
BC Racing coilovers

For brake pads. You really want an endurance compound. They cost more to start but last much longer.Overall cost is lower
Ferodo DS1.11 is the popular one, but I'd use Winmax W5 which now are better priced

DIscs - plain ones are cheap and do the job well.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome along, I run RTR Parts and can get you sorted with your brakes and other parts

I supply a lot of the DS1.11 to track cars and front running race cars, and always get great feedback. Pair with plain Brembo discs, they wear well , work from cold and are kind on discs. Rear Renault OE discs (check the washers are fitted behind them) and pair with either DS2500 ideally, or the Brembo oe pads .

Fresh fluid always helps and worth doing , 1 litre will do you. Braided lines if budget allows. Front brake cooling from the front fogs, is cheap and effective (i can supply various ducting sizes and lengths) . A general check of the brake calipers and rear bias valve to make sure all is working as it should (no point putting upgraded pads in , if they aren't getting enough pressure/and or binding)

Like with most things in life you get what you pay for brakes and, suspension are no different. The BC and Gaz are decent for their costs

Get 4 x matching decent tyres on the car. You can drop down to 15 inch to make tyres cheaper and I preferred my 172 on the smaller wheels . They often come up second hand with tyres on

You might drop on a decent set of coilovers second hand , keep an eye on the for sale sections (i'd avoid the really cheap coilovers personally)

Need any help send me a messages @Cjtdavenport (y)

Tight arse mods:

Brakes: PBS pads front, Pagid OE rear pads, discs and 5.1 DOT fluid
Springs: AMAX from ECP

Not so tight arse mods:

Brakes: DS1.11 front pads, PBS rear pads and Pagid OE rear discs with 5.1 DOT fluid
Coilovers: BC racing DR 10kg front/8kg rear