ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car - new problems!

Iceberg 2002 172
My GF decided to get a 172 and we bought one we sourced on pistonheads fairly locally and wanted to ask a few questions.

The car:

51k miles from new, FRSH and MOT and TAX untill next March (2010).
52 reg on private plate (N11 BAT) and was bought from the tetbury / gloucester area!

Few little niggles:

Get a whirring noise from an apparent grill in front of the courtesy light in the headlining? seems to go after a few minutes and is only a minor issue, more of an annoyance.

Also occasionally when driving for no apparent reason the 'STOP' and handbrake light start falshing on the dash, which is quite worrying. car has a deadlock feature where when you go over 5mph the doors and boot all lock, and if you switch this off once the lights are illuminated then they go, but they appeared tonight @ 40mph in 5th gear with the doors already unlocked. :S

Any help and suggestions welcome.

also looking for the standard Phase 2 172 exhaust back box as this one has blown all the baffles out.

matt

Megane dci 130
1st problem is the internal fan for the climate, theres nothing you can do execpt replace it.

2nd problem most probably low brake fluid level or a poorly adjusted handbrake switch.

Dynamique Flamer
Wouldn't bother with a standard back box either, aftermarket one all the way it will last longer and some have a lifetime warranty

Iceberg 2002 172
Thanks very much for the replys, also got told today it might be a poorly adjusted handbrake or the fluid level :)

and i would absolutely love an aftermarket system (i have a mongoose on my mk1 valver) but the misses wants to keep the car completely standard, she really only got the car for looks she doesnt drive it hard and i dont drive it at all.

matt

iceberg 172
we all have this when we buy new cars, think everything is a problem then six months down the line think back and say what a great buy.

Iceberg 2002 172
Ok i can see where people are going with this, I understand but am seriously just after a decent standard one, not aftermarket as the girlfriend wants to keep it completely OEM to extremes, and Bosal etc dont have the patents for the 172 exhaust yet as renault havent released them.

and i cant quite afford to fork out for £144 quid plus VAT for an exhaust + fitting :S

sucks and if it was mine it would already be wearing a mongoose exhaust but its not and it aint.

matt

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Defo be the brake fluid, mine did it then as soon as i toppd it up its never came back on since.go to take the engine cover off to top it off

Iceberg 2002 172
Thank you i will check that later when shes back from work :)

Are these stealth systems nice and OEM kinda quiet?

If i can convince her that its a direct replacement for standard she might get one :D

matt

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ktec stealth certainly isnt quiet. Removed mine and bought a oem full system. I hate the stealth tbh. Has anybody actually seen/heard a Yozza stealth?

Iceberg 2002 172
Thank you 197gaz this is what i was worried about.

The missus isnt into modifying at all hence why she didnt by a cup or a modified car. she bought the nicest and most standard example we could find locally.

I think i will stick with an OEM system.

Megane dci 130
Defo be the brake fluid, mine did it then as soon as i toppd it up its never came back on since.go to take the engine cover off to top it off

Brake fluid level is only low for 2 reasons.

1. You have low brake pads.
2. You have a leak.

So if it is low, its worth checking your pads. :)

Iceberg 2002 172
The brakes are stupidly sharp on this car though so i dont think there is a leak, there is no sponginess at all with them. Also pads look pretty new i think its just not been topped up when pads and etc have been changed before.

matt

ClioSport 172 Cup
pads are sharp on 172 anyway. Short pedal movement, overly sensitive. Mine felt sharp but they needed replacing!

Iceberg 2002 172
pads are sharp on 172 anyway. Short pedal movement, overly sensitive. Mine felt sharp but they needed replacing!

I checked it and guess what...

the fluid cap was barely on and loose so took it all apart cleaned it all up and replaced the cap and fluid, bled all brakes etc etc and it is perfect now, even sharper than they were and stop light hasnt come on once.