ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new car...zetec s or 1.6 clio?

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Get the Zetec S!

i have one and have owned it from new and although i said i would get rid of it this september (2 years old) i don't want to, i can see myself keeping it forever lol

320d
Get the Zetec S!

i have one and have owned it from new and although i said i would get rid of it this september (2 years old) i don't want to, i can see myself keeping it forever lol

not having a pop but you joined a clio forum for a reason, and i would presume that the reason is that you where going to buy a clio, and the fact that you are still here would suggest you are still after a clio.

RB 182 Special.
Out of those two, I'd have... A 106 GTI. ;)

I actually can't believe it took 37 repsonses before anyone mentioned the 106. It handles better than the VTS (yes, I've owned both) and is a group lower (13 v 14 for the VTS). To be honest, I think the 106 is more involving than my 182 to drive, they're just superb!

Or there's the other alternative and just keep saving for another year.

To be honest, I'm shocked that you're even looking at getting something quick if you're already paying over a grand on a 1.2 Clio. That's madness!!! And as some others have said, take your Dad off your policy you friggin' numpty. ;)

RS 172
^ Only downside to the GTi is that it is more desirable, so buying a low milage one seems to still command a high price. But still, if I was in the market for a 1.6, the GTi would be my choice too!

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Get the Zetec S!

not having a pop but you joined a clio forum for a reason, and i would presume that the reason is that you where going to buy a clio, and the fact that you are still here would suggest you are still after a clio.

i used to want a 197 thats why i joined, to find out more info on them, but i've gone off them now

but you lot are funny so i stook around lol

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
When I was looking for a new car (8 years ago now), I narrowed it down to, a Saxo VTR, a Fiesta Zetec, or a Clio. The Saxo soon got pushed to one side and I seriously considered the Fiesta, but at the end of the day, value for money came into play and I decided to get the Clio and I wasnt disapointed, even though the Clio was a 1.4 Rt Alize. Three years later I was faced with the same decision as to what to get next, my personal choices this time were the Alfa 147, Subaru Forester or the Clio 1.6 D+. After alot of consideration and weighing uo value for money, again the Clio won. Five years on and i still have her and have never regretted it for one minute! :D

RB 182 Special.

i used to want a 197 thats why i joined, to find out more info on them, but i've gone off them now

Why on Earth have you gone off the 197? They're superb cars! Is this the only Renault site you joined? Try http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/ as well. ;)

Only downside to the GTi is that it is more desirable, so buying a low milage one seems to still command a high price. But still, if I was in the market for a 1.6, the GTi would be my choice too!

They do command a slightly higher price (less common, MILES better interior and a slightly more resolved chassis), but they can be picked up for very reasonable money these days. And to be honest I'd say it's probably a bit easier to find a good 'un than it is a VTS. At he end of the day though, I adored my VTS as well so with either you'd be getting a great car. But my vote would go for the GTI too. :)

Shed.
Im under the same debate tbh. I WAS going for a 182 but the way tax is looking im not going to bother. The 1.2 just doesnt cut it anymore, power, gear ratios etc, always finding i need thta bit mroe power to get myself out of trouble. So i figured id go for the 1.6 16v clio, itl be my third clio. Hoping to snatch up a 20k miler on a 05 or 55 plate. They arent exactly shy either, ive seen about 2 come out on meets and they do put up a decent fight - no matter what people say, but hands down the 172 will beat it.

I wouldnt go for the diesel simply due to the lack of revs and also because itl most likely be an 8v. Driven a few 8v cars and cant say i like the engine character, theyre noisy in most cases and also diesel is a joke right now..

Go for the clio. Cheap to insure if your the right age, ill be 20, cheap to run and okay to tax. If you can, get it decked on a decent set of springs or some coilovers.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Just to throw another option out there - I had a 206 XSi 1.6 16v before the Vee, and it was a great car. Never put a single foot wrong reliability wise in 3 years of ownership. Was good on fuel too, I drove it hard and usually got about 35mpg. It would do 45mpg on a run. Had auto lights/wipers, trip computer, aircon, electric windows, electric/heated mirrors, decent standard stereo with wheel contols etc. I'd be controversial here and say it drove better than my friends 1.6 Clio - she preferred the 206 when I got it... Handling was spot on, engine was peppy and loved to be revved, AC was very strong as well, nothing in it between it and my mates 1.8 SRi Corsa in a straight line (like nothing at all).

Just something to think about :)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
For the guy that;s gone off the 197 - read my 'Awesome Drive' thread in the Road Driving Stories forum :p

RS 172
^ I agree, you do need power for safety. My mum was very scared when my dad got her a new car, she was moving from a 460 Coupe (2.0 - around 140bhp I think) to a CLK320 (3.2 - around 260bhp I think + bags of torque) and she was intimidated. However, now she understands how good it is to know you have all that grunt under your right foot when you need it.

1.2's can be dangerous in some situations, like joining fast roads with little run-up.