ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new d40 pics [lots]

Right, basically got my first dslr on saturday.
since then iv been taking pics of absolutely everything lol.

Iv been going through the M,A,S and P programs and working out how to work the aperture and shutter speed and been doing most of the focusing by hand as i believe this will help in the long run. Im basically trying to stay away from the point and shoot and start by learning how the camera actually works.

The main trouble im having though is exposure, most photos are either coming out very bright or really dark and when i try to alter shutter speeds and the iso to compensate its making the foto blur every time. Im going to buy a tri pod very soon so i can use longer shutter speeds but can anyone give me any tips on getting a good exposure or any other tips that people can pick up from the pics below.

I havent used any editing on any of the pictures so you can see exactly how iv taken them :)

PS please dont make this thread into another nikon vs canon arguement.

Tell me what you think :)

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
play with white balance also, that will help with some of the darkness...

what you need to remember though when shooting by hand without a tripod, you need to keep your slowest shutterspeed to 60th of a sec... if u go lower you will get blur...

stick it in M mode, set the shutter to 60, then adjust the aperture using the inbuilt light meter which u will see in the viewfinder adjust it so it gets in to the middle, if you cant do this with the aperture then adjust the iso... higher the iso for darker situations etc...

however u will need flashes etc to get best results but it will get expensive...

I just set the white balance to auto but ill give it a shot :) and ill try out the advice you gave me about M mode. Thanks malice :)

and Rednax, thats it sandbath haha, not ment to do craps in there lol, instead it decides to do it everywhere else haha.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
the white balance if u set it to sunlight when your in sunlight and the diff camera stock modes u will notice it helps ur pics loads...

then you need to learn about doing it manual with the by adjusting the K lol... gets loads more fun lol....

also if u use the inbuilt flash and find its a bit harsh (tbh the built in flash is poop but u can use it) get a rizla and stick it over the flash it will diffuse it and make it softer.