ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New engine needed :(

Clio 172 Cup
Massive oil consumption from my 76k miles 172 Cup has led to an expert diagnosis of probable terminal damage, and a suggestion that replacing the engine is more cost effective than digging around to find out what's wrong.

Just wondering what other people's experiences have been with this. Seems like I have several options:
  • New engine from Renault (bloomin' expensive)
  • Used engine from Ebay/forum/breakers (gamble as to condition)
  • Reconditioned engine (currently awaiting info, but could also be pricey)
Also wondering if there's a particular benefit to getting a new Cup engine, or a 172 or a 182 engine, or even a ph1 172 engine. Are they all much of a muchness in terms of performance?
Cheers.

330i. E30 Touring.
Just find someone breaking a known running good car tbh. Simplest way. Just do the cambelt and clutch while it's out and you'll be alright.

@Kelv
@stevem42

^Both break cars and are local-ish to you

330i. E30 Touring.
I wouldn't worry at all TBH, buy one from a well serviced car. Could save some money if it's had recent belt kit & dephaser..

Clio 172 Cup
Cool, ok. So going for a 182 engine to put in isn't necessarily worth it in terms of extra performance, etc?

330i. E30 Touring.
Nope, won't gain any power by putting a 182 engine in. Not the bare engine anyway.

If you put the lower inlet manifold and the exhaust manifold on, you'd gain a touch, but would need to get a link pipe from the mani to your exhaust. Hassle tbh.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
What's actually wrong with your current engine? It's very low mileage for there to be anything terminal

330i. E30 Touring.
What's actually wrong with your current engine? It's very low mileage for there to be anything terminal
Mileage means nothing really TBH.

Even on 76k, if it's not had an oil change for 50k miles you never know....

Clio 172 Cup
Diagnosis was remote by Mike at Rentech, suspected piston ring. Lots of oil went in to top it up, none came out the bottom as far as I've been able to tell, expansion tank gone very dark and dipstick dry very quickly,
Mike's thoughts were that the work involved in diagnosing for sure, plus the risk of there being other damage to the bores etc, means it's likely more cost effective to just put a new one in.
Car was well looked after before me, and regular services/oil changes etc while I've owned it, but had just done a very long European trip when it all started going sick.
Thanks for the PM Steve, will reply shortly.

Free Delivery Dreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I'd say if the cost of dropping another engine in is the same or more than buying another 1*2, it might just be worth cutting your losses and getting another car, at least you can get a few hundred quid back selling the Cup, even with a buggered engine.

If you can pick another cheap engine up in the for sale section then get a few mates to help you drop it in then happy days, but buying an expensive recon then paying a garage to do the swap would be a false economy when you could just buy another car.

Clio 172 Cup
I've put enough into the car already since I got it that I don't want to replace it if I can get away with it. Everything else on it is very tidy.
Besides, it's not just any old Clio - it's mine. :D

Free Delivery Dreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I know what you mean, i've had so many good memories in my car, it's been very reliable on the whole and has mods i'm happy with so I wouldn't want to get rid of it either, plus if the engine blew up i've got a whole forum of mates that would help me drop in a replacement so i'd only really have to pay for another engine, which my mates would help me find too.

clio 172
I was in a similar citation as you .
Bought a engine from renparts in Doncaster, came with a 3 month warranty.
I've done roughly 24k did the belts at 22
Never missed a beat either .

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If oil has made it's way into the coolant, doesn't that point to head gasket failure? Not sure how a ring would let oil into the water....?

I'd be tempted to pull the head off (if you have the knowledge) to identify the real problem, could turn out to be an easy/cheap fix......

Clio Cup and BMW135i
Just a word of warning ,I have had the same problem, when contacting an on line parts company I had more phone calls from them that,all different people selling the same engine, anyway agreed to buy it they took my money and never delivered, a second company called Chesterfield motor spares also took my money and after two weeks delivered a badly made up engine that was not honest,my mechanic leak down tested and it failed very badly and would not fit it,they also go under the name of Universal Engines Chesterfield. Thankfully I managed to get a decent one from Renparts.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd only buy an engine from a long term member in here, or Josh @ Renparts.

I don't trust car dismantlers anymore than I'd trust a pikey to Tarmac my driveway.

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks chaps for all your advice. After a chat with Mike at Rentech I've gone for a recon engine from Renparts, who were really helpful. Being fitted next week.