ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New engine?

ClioIII 138 S
Hi all

i got a 1.4 clio and im looking at getting a new engine got bout 3 grand to spend i can get a r5 turbo engine including full rebuild and upgrade for 2700 (including buying a r5 for transplant) anyone have any better engines/ideas?

ClioIII 138 S
car forum or spelling school? i want a car that looks slow but is powerful also want something that is different

ClioIII 138 S
yea mk2 ph1, ive heard bout bad reliability on the r5 so am un sure, which is why im questioning :) and as im only 18 looking to get conversion done when im 19 insurance will be the main prob in buying a faster car

Deano_8v_1.4 said:
yea mk2 ph1, ive heard bout bad reliability on the r5 so am un sure, which is why im questioning :) and as im only 18 looking to get conversion done when im 19 insurance will be the main prob in buying a faster car
The big problem is that people wack the boost up and they blow up there are reliable if there done properly.
Have th engine rebuilt and do thengs proprly it will be reliable howver if were on about a Mk2 sheel buy a 172 conversion engine gearbox wiring brakes suspension etc for £1.5k+vat+fitment.

ClioIII 138 S
edde said:
The big problem is that people wack the boost up and they blow up there are reliable if there done properly.
Have th engine rebuilt and do thengs proprly it will be reliable howver if were on about a Mk2 sheel buy a 172 conversion engine gearbox wiring brakes suspension etc for £1.5k+vat+fitment.

Yea, i mean i would need the brake upgrade for sure, what company does the 172 conversion? Thanks for your help

Deano_8v_1.4 said:
Yea, i mean i would need the brake upgrade for sure, what company does the 172 conversion? Thanks for your help
The £1.5k+ Vat is the kit from Matt (telephone 01254386661) he'll supply all the bits you need ie engine gearbox mounts radiator wiring loom driveshafts suspension brakes hubs caliper dahbaord etc.

There are a few places who have done the conversion GDI have done one There a place up North somewhere has done one for a forum member (best do a search) and quite a lot have been sold by Matt to people who have never been heard of on the forum but done the conversion.

Matt used to do the conversion so can give help but he's stopped doing them now.

If you did the conversion you'd want to change the cambelt clutch AUX belt tensioner ball joint stop mount ball joint buhses etc so that £350 or so worth of new parts its easier to do with the engine out and you don't want to risk not doing it IMO.

The whole car has to be stripped though dahboard and all wiring out and there a few things to need to decide what you want to do ie PAS or electric rack/AUX belt fixing/Cup alternator etc.

ClioIII 138 S
ok, seems alot involved but cheaper then the r5 transplant will look around see whats best, price isnt really an issue just want the best i can get tbh :) thanks again

Deano_8v_1.4 said:
ok, seems alot involved but cheaper then the r5 transplant will look around see whats best, price isnt really an issue just want the best i can get tbh :) thanks again
Best in terms of what?
You cna get a 1.8 T engine fitted for £7~8k with 280hp and tunning for the VAG 1.8t is almost off the shelf 350hp can be bought off the shelf as a package for a reasonble sum.