ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VW Trans to Clio II RS engine

Renault Clio II
Dear people,

I am interested in putting a clio II rs (2L) engine in my clio II 1.4 16v and rebuilding it to a 2l rs. I heard that it’s best to get a VW transmission and axle’s rather than the stock 2l rs transmission and axle’s because they get leaky en break fast. Can anyone point me in the direction of an adapter plate and which trans is best to be used. Also any advice from people who have mated a vw trans to the clio 2l rs engine. Also NO, I do not want to hear it’s best to just buy a clio II RS, I know, but it wouldn’t be the same for me.

Thanks in advance.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The vw gearbox is generally used on high power turbo conversions. Apparently the gearshift is not the best.

EfiParts do an adaptor plate and flywheel. You then need to make gearbox mounts, fit shifter and custom driveshafts. Be £1500-2k to do it right as the gearbox you need is not cheap.

Renault Clio II
The vw gearbox is generally used on high power turbo conversions. Apparently the gearshift is not the best.

EfiParts do an adaptor plate and flywheel. You then need to make gearbox mounts, fit shifter and custom driveshafts. Be £1500-2k to do it right as the gearbox you need is not cheap.
Alright, thanks for the information. I’m not immediately planning on making it a turbo build but it is something I’d be interested in in the future. Would you say the clio II rs gearbox is fine for just the N/A Clio II rs 2l engine? I heard the synchros break often and they leak oil aswell.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
They all weep a bit, but as long as you're not banging the gears and running the correct oil I'm sure it'd be fine. Mines still on its original JC5-130 at 150k miles. I think most of the problems come from trying to rush the gears, at least that's what I've read on here.

Renault Clio II
They all weep a bit, but as long as you're not banging the gears and running the correct oil I'm sure it'd be fine. Mines still on its original JC5-130 at 150k miles. I think most of the problems come from trying to rush the gears, at least that's what I've read on here.
Okay, the engine has 220k km’s. Not sure what that is in miles but I think it’s about 145k but I don’t know if the guy I’m buying the engine from still has the gearbox. I’ve just asked him if he does. He told me it’s best to go with a vw transmission and axle’s but if the jc5 is fine I’ll use that as it’s cheaper and still good. What’s the average cost of a jc5?