ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Exhaust and bad rattle in 1st and 2nd

Doubt it's anything to do with exhaust but just had car MOT'd and a new Ktec exhaust fitted at my local garage. Once car is war if I pull away hard in 1st or accelerate though 2nd hard there is a terrible rattle (knocking) noise coming from engine bay area. If I rev the car with no load there is no noise. I have just topped it up with some fresh fuel to see if thats a problem, had it up on a jack to see if anything obvious is catching (its not)

There are no engine lights or any codes coming up when I have checked with my code reader (eBay one) but it does the job.

Any ideas? Possible gearbox issue?

Thanks in advance.

Well it’s not been done I don’t think. Could it be as simple as that? The car has been sat over winter covered up.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Heat shield come loose and rattling ? It might have got disturbed when fitting the new exhaust .

Clio 182 2005
Manifold hitting anti roll bar, had this on mine when the dog bone was kaput

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG Clio 182
Well it’s not been done I don’t think. Could it be as simple as that? The car has been sat over winter covered up.
99 percent sure that it'll be the dogbone mount. Try the mount first before you look to anything else, especially if it hasnt been done. Get a powerflex purple insert or just buy an evol engineering mount. Dead easy to fit yourself too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Cheers gonna get it u on axle stands this morning when it warms up a little outside and have a good look. I’ve seen the purple inserts at Euro’s and I have one round the corner from me.

BG Clio 182
Cheers gonna get it u on axle stands this morning when it warms up a little outside and have a good look. I’ve seen the purple inserts at Euro’s and I have one round the corner from me.
Good man. Piece of piss to take it off, will massively improve your gearchange too. You need to bray out the metal collar on the standard mount as the powerflex just utilises the bare bar

Good man. Piece of piss to take it off, will massively improve your gearchange too. You need to bray out the metal collar on the standard mount as the powerflex just utilises the bare bar

Just had it off and it’s been changed already by a previous owner. It’s the power flex blue and putting a screwdriver through either end there is tiny movement. One of the heat shields does look like it’s got a fresh scrape mark on so I’m wondering if the garage has not got it set right

BG Clio 182
Just had it off and it’s been changed already by a previous owner. It’s the power flex blue and putting a screwdriver through either end there is tiny movement. One of the heat shields does look like it’s got a fresh scrape mark on so I’m wondering if the garage has not got it set right
So surprising. Might be a heatshield then, try the one above the back boxes

So surprising. Might be a heatshield then, try the one above the back boxes

On further investigation the middle rubber mount is saggy but they put a new rear one on! Wtf, why would they not change the middle one I don’t know! Is there an upgraded poly Bush middle mount?

OK I’m thinking it’s more of a loud exhaust note or leak under pressure. Looking up from underneath where the cat joins the down pipe the left hand spring bolt is loose. Either spring has broken or a spring cap has come off. With the movement of putting a new exhaust on I guess it could have disturbed it. It only does noise in 1st and 2nd when I put foot down. Higher back pressure?

PH2 172
OK I’m thinking it’s more of a loud exhaust note or leak under pressure. Looking up from underneath where the cat joins the down pipe the left hand spring bolt is loose. Either spring has broken or a spring cap has come off. With the movement of putting a new exhaust on I guess it could have disturbed it. It only does noise in 1st and 2nd when I put foot down. Higher back pressure?

That`s a large leap away from a terrible knocking noise?

Grab hold of the top of the engine and see if you can rock it backwards & forwards.

The exhaust will bang on the front subframe ( not the ARB ffs ) if the top engine/gearbox mounts are worn, even if the dogbone is good.

If all else fails, check the wheel bearings.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/car-pulling-when-accelerating-clunking-when-changing-gear.759943/

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I doubt very much the spring will have broken if its a genuine Renault spring, they're very strong . The bolt through the spring might have rusted away pulling through the hole in the exhaust manifold making it loose ? I've had loads rust over the years . I'd start with getting this end of the exhaust sorted and maybe a new centre hanger and take it from there .

That`s a large leap away from a terrible knocking noise?

Grab hold of the top of the engine and see if you can rock it backwards & forwards.

The exhaust will bang on the front subframe ( not the ARB ffs ) if the top engine/gearbox mounts are worn, even if the dogbone is good.

If all else fails, check the wheel bearings.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/car-pulling-when-accelerating-clunking-when-changing-gear.759943/

Well I’ve had a play about and I think it’s knocking. I have adjusted the middle hanger and pulled the exhaust up a little. It’s not as bad but there is no more adjustment.

If I grab the cat there is movement with the engine but I can’t get the engine to move from under the bonnet.

I’m gonna take it back to them on Tuesday when I’m off and ask them to sort it, they can put it on the ramp and do it a lot easier than messing under car on axle ramps

Car is back in garage today for them to have a look and hopefully re adjust. They can’t do it till end of day so hopefully it will be fine in the morning.

Car is back today as got snowed in. They have raised the height of the exhaust and it is clearing better now, the upper engine mount is as soft as a jelly, will throw a power flex yellow one in and the middle exhaust rubber hanger is worn and saggy - why they didn't replace that one i don't know. Will get that replaced too.

Turned out to be engine mount. Slapped a powerflex insert one in and changed the centre exhaust mount as it was like an elastic band. Car is spot on now with no catching. A slight bit more vibration in the cab but I can cope with that.