ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new front speakers

RacingBlue 182
im thinking of upgrading my front speakers with my standard headunit, will this make any difference i.e more bassy without distorting. i know for the best result i need to change the headunit, but for now i would just like new speakers? Anyone done this and what speakers did you go for with your standard headunit?

soon: 172 Cup
Upgradin your front speakers to components will make no end of a difference, thats what i am aiming for when i get my 172. If you get a full set of components, it will not only sound crispier (and maybe a bit more depth/base) but the tweeters will even out the sound and give better mid range.

running them off the ehadunit will be ok, but for a better sound i would reccomend using an Am to help power the speakers!

Clown Car
Have a look on Ebay for some new Infinity Kappa 52.7i co-ax, should be able to get them for £60 per pair, i have replaced all my speakers with them, what i have found is there is no sound distortion at higher volumes, they are much bassier and there is more clarity to the sound, that's with an aftermarket HU i do not know what they were like with the standard HU.

The Bus and MRT
Mark5290 said:
Have a look on Ebay for some new Infinity Kappa 52.7i co-ax, should be able to get them for £60 per pair, i have replaced all my speakers with them, what i have found is there is no sound distortion at higher volumes, they are much bassier and there is more clarity to the sound, that's with an aftermarket HU i do not know what they were like with the standard HU.

hmm, used to have some infinity 6x9s in my old car and they were great. Have you just got 4 of these runing through a head unit with no amp? Tempted to get 2 and a head unit ~ £180 then wait a while and get another 2, will they swap straight out with the factory speakers in a 172 mk2?

The Bus and MRT
What's the Output on the standard head unit for a 172 mk2? Will it run 4x infinities OK?

Clown Car
Jo3y said:
hmm, used to have some infinity 6x9s in my old car and they were great. Have you just got 4 of these runing through a head unit with no amp? Tempted to get 2 and a head unit ~ £180 then wait a while and get another 2, will they swap straight out with the factory speakers in a 172 mk2?
Yep they are running straight out of the HU with no external amp, they are a direct replacement for you original speakers, they are quite a shallow speaker, so you will have no problems fitting them into the front door card where that plastic surround is.

The only problem i encountered was where to mount the crossover box for the front speakers, i ended up removing the front door cards and using double sided velcro tads to secure the crossover boxes to the inside of the door frame, as i did not want to just let them lie in the bottom of the door loose where the drain channel is and when the window is fully down might hit the boxes.

The Bus and MRT
Mark5290 said:
Yep they are running straight out of the HU with no external amp, they are a direct replacement for you original speakers, they are quite a shallow speaker, so you will have no problems fitting them into the front door card where that plastic surround is.

Finally just getting round to ordering them now but have one final question, the front speakers will swap out nicely and I can put the tweeters where the standard ones are, but do the rear speakers swap out as easily? I can't remeber seeing any tweeters in the back so surely they're different speakers?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
rear speakers are normal coax speakers, 13cm, theyre easy enough to change...simply pull the speaker cover off, unscrew them and connect new speaker :)

The Bus and MRT
russ9898 said:
rear speakers are normal coax speakers, 13cm, theyre easy enough to change...simply pull the speaker cover off, unscrew them and connect new speaker :)

Ok cheers, just realised I'm being stupid, I thought the Kappa 52.7I's had a seperate tweeter. Won't I be better off getting different speakers for the front then with seperate tweeters or doesn't it matter?

Thanks again

seperate tweets will help get it sounding better as mounting them on the dash will give you a higher sound stage.

I would really reccommend amping though a standared headunit kicks out 5-10 wrms max. the distortion your hearing isnt the always the speakers its the built in amp running out of power just amping the standard speakers will really make a difference

The Bus and MRT
thumper said:
seperate tweets will help get it sounding better as mounting them on the dash will give you a higher sound stage.

I would really reccommend amping though a standared headunit kicks out 5-10 wrms max. the distortion your hearing isnt the always the speakers its the built in amp running out of power just amping the standard speakers will really make a difference

Ok Cheers, I've had the stuff ready to order for about 2 hours now, going to get:

This head unit
Kenwood KDC-W534UA 2GB Pack

And two sets of
Infinity Kappa 52.7i

What do you recon, will it be a vast improvement over the standard stuff? Would anyone recommend some different front speakers with seperate tweeters or stick to the same all round?

Cheers

there will be a improvement but not as much of an improvement if you add even a cheep amp to your order. The output on that headunit is probably only 15wrms
the speakers you have ordered are rated at 55wrms so there will be a big problem with midbass due to the lack of power

something like this would really get the best out of those componants
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4139

or even better http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4140

cancel the order for the second set of speakers you wont need them add the above amp to the order instead and that way you will open up the possibilities of amping a sub in the future

Give the CAD a ring and say appologise for the error they a great bunch of guys im sure they wont mind

and whilst your there change the fronts to these
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3855

and lastly for the extra 5 quid the quality of this headunit over the kenwood will also be easily noticable

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4764

trust me you wont regret it the sound quality will be by far superior on a very silmilar budget

Last edited:
  The Bus and MRT
thumper said:
there will be a improvement but not as much of an improvement if you add even a cheep amp to your order. The output on that headunit is probably only 15wrms
the speakers you have ordered are rated at 55wrms so there will be a big problem with midbass due to the lack of power

something like this would really get the best out of those componants
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4139

or even better http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4140

cancel the order for the second set of speakers you wont need them add the above amp to the order instead and that way you will open up the possibilities of amping a sub in the future

Give the CAD a ring and say appologise for the error they a great bunch of guys im sure they wont mind

and whilst your there change the fronts to these
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3855

trust me you wont regret it

Hmm yeah but I really can't afford to spend anymore money, I'm already over budget, plus if I get an amp I have to worry about wiring everthing from the boot and at the moment I can just use the standard cables and fit the speakers straight in.

Apparently it's 4x28watts RMS...

Jo3y said:
Hmm yeah but I really can't afford to spend anymore money, I'm already over budget, plus if I get an amp I have to worry about wiring everthing from the boot and at the moment I can just use the standard cables and fit the speakers straight in.

Apparently it's 4x28watts RMS...

theres no real extra expense though you spent close to 300 notes on imo a setup you wont get the best out off the full setup ive just given you is only an extra 50 quid all youl need is a wiring kit which you can pick up locally for the price of a night out and you will have a system that by far out ranks the kit you have just listed and will sound like you spent hundreds more rather than just a few quid

in the end its your system and money I can only offer you my experiance and opinions

my system is listed here if you have any doubts about my knowledge
http://cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166385

The Bus and MRT
thumper said:
theres no real extra expense though you spent close to 300 notes on imo a setup you wont get the best out off the full setup ive just given you is only an extra 50 quid all youl need is a wiring kit which you can pick up locally for the price of a night out and you will have a system that by far out ranks the kit you have just listed and will sound like you spent hundreds more rather than just a few quid

in the end its your system and money I can only offer you my experiance and opinions

my system is listed here if you have any doubts about my knowledge
http://cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166385

I'm not doubting your knowledge mate, it's just I really can't afford to spend anymore at the moment, I'll probably get an amp at a later date, unless you recommend sacking off the rear speakers and replacing them with the amp? To tell you the truth I'm not after a booming stereo, did that in my old car, great fun but attracted too much attention (Got nicked and I got £0 back from a grands worth of stereo and had to pay for all the repairs to my car :( ). I just want to get a nice crisp sound all the way through the car at an acceptable volume, and if the standard HU only gives out 10 watts RMS and the new one gives out three times that, coupled with some extra speakers I think I'll be happy for the time being. Like I said I could swap the rear speakers for the amp but then it'll sound sh!t in the back, so I might just wait and see what this is like then fork out the extra for the amp when I can afford.

Cheers for the advice though