ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Jag XKR-S... oh my.

182218_10150093908965168_7613480167_6724416_317042_n.jpg

183178_10150093909115168_7613480167_6724420_4174573_n.jpg

Jaguar's pumped up the power and handling on its pretty kitty, the XKR, for next week's Geneva Motor Show. The result is a cat Jag claims is the fastest production Jaguar sports car ever. It's called the XKR-S and it's got the standard XKR's 5.0-liter supercharged V8 under the hood with some as-yet-unveiled upgrades to boost output to 542 bhp (up from 510 bhp) and 501 lb-ft o' torques (up from 461 lb-ft). We'd say "Faster, pussycat! Kill! Kill!" but it's just too soon.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
To me this car just looks dated. Sticking on, IMO, tacky bits to try to elongate the life of this model just screams of desperation from Jaguar. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a lovely car, but I just think it's a bit long in the tooth now, needs a new model badly.

Also, with that much power (542hp and 501lb ft) why can it only do 186mph? I have less power on tap and the M6 is capable of comfortably hitting the double ton.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Looks crap! Much like What Aston did with the Vanage the N420 and V12! Took a bonnie looking car and made it look worse.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I love them. My Mum has the older shape XKR, which used to be my Stepdad's. 400bhp and she pootles to Tesco in it. Sigh.

Sounds epic though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks crap! Much like What Aston did with the Vanage the N420 and V12! Took a bonnie looking car and made it look worse.
The V12 is an elegant epic machine!

The DBS is the trinket machine!

Fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The V12 is an elegant epic machine!

The DBS is the trinket machine!

Fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can a car with slashes and vents hacked into it be considered 'elegant'

Should of gone to specsavers.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Woo and I was awaiting that comment. The Aston gets away with it because it's an Aston.

It remains elegant just as the DBS did even though it was more track/stripped.

Turbos.
Other than the spoiler, i love it. Just wonder if it gets too close to Aston money though...

That spoiler really is bad though. It is a Jaguar FFS!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Woo and I was awaiting that comment. The Aston gets away with it because it's an Aston.

It remains elegant just as the DBS did even though it was more track/stripped.

hummm The DBS yes, still looks elegant...But the V12v, no, just no!

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Also, with that much power (542hp and 501lb ft) why can it only do 186mph? I have less power on tap and the M6 is capable of comfortably hitting the double ton.

I'm assuming that's a limited figure - I took a standard XKR to a VMAX event at Bruntingthorpe last year and that did a (GPS verified) 169 (book says limiter is set at 155) before hitting the limiter with a LOT to spare.

Funny you mention the M6 as I went head to head with an M5 and he was pulling away from me which I didn't expect, unfortunately didn't get to speak to the driver afterwards to find out if it was standard or not.

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Probably runs out of gearing at 186mph.

Possibly, although the XKR still had another gear left at 169. I reckon Jag don't want to have to engineer a car that does the double ton (special tyres etc) which, given how infrequently you're likely to use that performance, does make some sense.