ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New joiner - Clio 182 buying advice

Seat Alhambra
Hi,

New joiner here and looking for some advice. Am in the market for a Clio 182 and went to see one local to me LV55 YXF:

Has a cliosport.net sticker in the back window so wondered if anyone on here knows this car?

Engine management light came on a couple of times during test drive and seemed to idle quite roughly - not sure if that is a cause for concern or if that’s normal as it’s the first time I’ve been in one.

Also, was on Pirelli’s apart from drivers side rear which was on a hankook Ventus - is that an issue and should I ask for it to be replaced with a matching Pirelli?

Exterior was in great condition but interior was looking tired and steering wheel in particular needs a refurb.

Thanks for reading and any advice appreciated. Hope to be joining as an owner soon!

cheers,
John

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Hi John,

IMO the biggest question that you need to ask is when were the belts changed? Also when was the Aux belt kit changed. After that i would be giving the gearbox a run for it's money to make sure it has no crunches etc as they are getting pretty weak these days.

Engine management light on is not normal and could be a few different options, worth plugging it into an OBD reader if you can to find out whats wrong, its a good tool for bargaining. Most likely fuel or ignition related.

Exhaust hangers look like they might need attention in those pictures as well. The best road tyres for these cars are Pilot Sport 3's in my opinion, but its personal preference.

That car is over price probably by 1k tbh.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Had a few MOT fails and lots of advisories. A few mentioning high emissions and 1 engine management light. Doesn't sound like a cared for example in my opinion.

Seat Alhambra
Hi!

Thanks for the quick response. Belts were changed in 2017 @ 75K miles so I guess auxiliary belt due next year? How much does that cost?

In terms of giving gearbox a run - is that hard acceleration and then changing up through the gears? We did a v. short circuit around all under 40mph so didn't have a chance to do this.

What are thoughts on this one (apart from tinted glass):

Looks like a good service history and recent cambelts, dephaser done back in June.

Really appreciate all the feedback and pointers here guys - keep it coming!

Thanks,
John

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
@Crashs2k

Aux belt kit is currently £82 on Renault Parts Direct, but also out of stock. If you can fit it yourself you will save a bit of labor.

Gearbox wise, i would run it flat through the first 2/3 gears with a bit of haste on the change to see if it crunches.

The car you have linked, i'm a bit concerned that the drivers side headlight doesn't seem to fit correctly. Could indicate some damage, further investigation required. I would advise you to buy a car from a member on this forum if you can.