ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Lens

So ive had my Canon 500D a good 4-5months now. Im thinking of getting another lens at some point soon.

I want one that has more zoom capability, as my standard lens is 17-70mm (or something like that). What do I need to look for when looking at lens' etc?

Would this one be adequate:
Canon EF75-300 f4-5.6 III USM Lens
Seen it for £110 at Tesco. It is on Jessops etc for like £250. My birthday money could pretty much cover the cost of that.

Are there any other lens that people could maybe recommend I get? (even if not one with greater zoom) Just so that I have more to try out.

(Im not looking to spend £xxx's on a lens. Sometime cheap and cheerful tbh as im a pikey bass without guaranteed work)

Lower f numbers is generally the best thing. But the lower they are, they more they cost.

Not used that lens but I have a Sigma 70-300mm which was around that price and it's not too bad. Not going to set the world on fire but I don't use it that often.

Cheers Dan. What does the f number mean?

Ill check out prices of that lens too. I think a cheapo one will be good enough for me tbh. It wouldn't really be worth someone like me spending hundreds on a lens.

EDIT: The Sigma is about £130 and has the same f number as the one I mentioned. (Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG MACRO Lens)

Cupra
I have used the 75-300 and it is a woeful lens! Focus is slow, the entire body shifts and wobbles in your hands too!
Images from it are usable with some PP, but I am sure that sigma, tokina or tamron have a better option.

If you can save up a bit, a second hand 70-200 f4L would be a great buy. Sharp, fast focusing and brilliant IQ.

Second hand always worries me a little tbh. I do prefer to buy new, when possible. What would be the zoom difference between 200mm and 300mm? I am looking for a lens with more zoom capability, so 200mm may not be enough? (I dont know, never had a go with one :eek:)

Cupra
I have bought a fair few second hand lenses. Just check that the focus works as it should (close, far, different focal points in the camera), check that all the apertures work and a look for obvious marks on the lens or dust inside and you are good to go. :)
It means that you can buy something that would normally be out of reach and you can always sell it on without loosing a penny, as glass does not really loose it's second hand value.

For the difference between 200 + 300m, It's nothing that a PP crop can't fix, but you can use the Tamron tool to check it yourself.

http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
If you can save up a bit, a second hand 70-200 f4L would be a great buy. Sharp, fast focusing and brilliant IQ.

I've just bought this exact lens. Only used it once as I've not been home much but cant believe how good it is. Razor sharp and focuses INCREDIBLY fast. However to the OP, second hand ones still go for £400 or more.

Cupra
For value for money they are hard to beat TBH. Plus you get a big white lens to stick on your camera which means people move out of the way when you are taking photos or let you in places you shouldn't really be. ;)

Cheers Dan. What does the f number mean?

f number is aperture which gives you the better ability to blur out a background or to shoot in low light with a faster shutter speed.

As you're a Canon man, you'd be silly not to buy the one Andy recommend. The L series lenses are brilliant. I wouldn't worry about second hand. Camera stuff is expensive and people look after things. A lot of people tend to buy a lens, use it for a bit to try it out and then sell it on as they can't afford to have a bag full of expensive ones.

I've bought two second hand bodies and both have been pristine.

Oil Burner
Used Canon L Glass doesn't loose value if you maintain its condition. So Andy's shout for the Non IS 70-200 F4 with a 1.4tc is a great bet. Failing that a used 70-200 F2.8 Sigma.

Cheap glass is a waste of time and money and it will loose value/be harder to shift.

As a side note, if your yet to familiarise yourself with cameras (learning about aperture/shutter speeds/iso and their relationship to each other) then i would recommend a bit more time using the camera before paying out too much. Make sure its a hobby for you before spending £££.
Also if you want advice on how to take better photos, then it helps to know what these things are so you understand what people are suggesting to change.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Not to sound a **** Paul but as you asked what F-stops are do you really think you'v out grown the kit lens?

I know you have said you want more zoom but the closer you go with a lens the more control you need over f-stops and shutter speeds.

I'd always invest the extra cash in a lens, if you buy a cheap crappy one, you'll soon regret it as you quickly realise it's limitations.

Cheers for the comments guys. Im taking all the info in...

Dan, yeah its a good point mate. Alot of the stuff (like f numbers etc) ive learnt, tends to stick with me a while, then ill forget exactly what it means. Theres quite a few things that I cant remember the meaning of on it :S .

So moral of the story, maybe gain more experience and learn/remember all the meanings of everything, then go for a better lens with greater aperture rating?!

If you've got a want for new toys, which everyone does, then get a 50mm f1.8.

Before you say 'Oh Revels you kind, helpful chap, please note that I have 50mm in my current range I wanted to expand, so thankyou for your advice but it's a no' I will counteract with the 50mm being the best 'learner' lens you can buy. It's f1.8 so that will really help you get to grips with aperture and how it effects things. Plus you can get one for about £80.

Nice one. I will certainly look into it. I have noticed that alot of people seem to go for this sort of lens.
Im sure if it's going to help me develop & learn, then it'll be worth the investment.

Will Jessops (or other photography shop) have a 'demo lens' that I could try out on that, so before spending the £80, I can see what ill be getting (rather than going in 'relatively' blind)?

Last edited:
Nice one. I will certainly look into it. I have noticed that alot of people seem to go for this sort of lens.
Im sure if it's going to help me develop & learn, then it'll be worth the investment.

Will Jessops (or other photography shop) have a 'demo lens' that I could try out on that, so before spending the £80, I can see what ill be getting (rather than going in 'relatively' blind)?

I'm 99% sure Greg has it. But I'll have mine with my at CSS if you want to try it. Nikon fit but you can try it on my camera.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Camera shops iv been never have a worry about you taking in your body. Or using a similar one.

You can search for a lens on flickr too which helps loads.

57 Clio Campus Sport
I am in the exact same position Harpham, just started, got my 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens and quickly wanted a bigger lens with more zoom. If I'm honest I haven't used it nearly enough yet and also need to spend some time reading up on iso/aperture etc.

I now think my next lens will be a macro lens instead. I'm coming from an iPhone so being close to the subject is something i've become used to. I like getting things in great detail.

Luckily my dad has a nice Sigma 70-200mm which I think is f1.8 or f2.8 which he will sometimes let me borrow lol.

Macro lenses are huge fun, it's amazing what you miss walking around normally trying to capture a landscape or whatever. There's a whole other world down there!

Harpham, not sure if I am in a position to offer advice as I'm a massive noob compared to some of the people posting in here and you seem to take some really good shots already, but the nifty fifty is a great shout if you don't have one.

I was the same, on the look out for something with a bit more reach up to the 200/300mm range... But I ended up buying a 50mm f1.8 and it was money well spent. It practically lives on the camera now and only gets swapped to my 18-55 kit lens when needs must. Produces images in another league to the standard kit lens.

My next investment will definitely be close to your current requirements though. Half decent 70-200 or similar as I do feel like I am lacking some versatility in my range!

Why is my name being banded about so freely.

Paul, if I see you on sunday I'll have it with me, if not you can borrow it as CSS for a bit.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Someone somewhere will be selling a mint 50mm in a pub, since mine was stolen :(

Good lens for the money but never got around to replacing it, simply because I never used it when i had it.

Nice one guys. Been looking through some examples on Flickr. I can see the difference in photos. Ill have to give one a try and then invest in one myself!

Greg, cheers dude. Will be good to speak to you about it aswell. Can maybe grab some tips from you, seeing as you're a proper wh0re. ;)

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Nice one guys. Been looking through some examples on Flickr. I can see the difference in photos. Ill have to give one a try and then invest in one myself!

Greg, cheers dude. Will be good to speak to you about it aswell. Can maybe grab some tips from you, seeing as you're a proper wh0re. ;)
Try pixel peeper too bud, I spent hours on there looking at example photos with specific lenses and cameras.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Congrats on the job mate! Buy the lens, I <3 my 50mm.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
There's about to be one in my bag soon. Just ordered one. Been needing it for a while and after borrowing my mates for a day i'm very pleased with it :D

Cupra
I wasn't that impressed with the f1.4. Images taken wide open were always a bit soft (on my copy at least). I'm still trying to decide whether to replace it with an 85mm or the Sigma 50.