ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member, Clio 182, wanna make it fly ;) suggestions please.

Well hello people :)

Okay so I understand you've probably seen this thread a thousand times about how to mod etc. Nonetheless I thought due to my budget and specific requirements that I should make this to get the information that I need.

So, I currently have a 206 GTI 180 but have decided to buy a Clio 182 as a lot of people say it's much better ;) I pick it up tomorrow. 50k miles, FSH. It's mint.

Anyway, cutting straight to the chase, I have a big budget available and want to make my new Clio rapid. At the moment it is completely standard.

I want to track the car at some point hence the fast thrills, but also have it as an every day car (though not to work, I just mean socially).

My 180 is around the same pace as the Clio, around 7 seconds 0-60 and 0-100 around 19 seconds. Which is not going to cut it by any means.

Serious business time: From the 182, my essential requirements are a sub 6 second 0-60 sprint (ideally 5 - 5.5 seconds) and a 60-100 in no more than 8 seconds, preferably around 7.

I've done a little research and found K-Tec racing who offer a supercharger for £4,600 fitted. I assume this is the obvious choice, but the question does anyone have/or have had this supercharger and would it meet my above requirements? I would welcome people's comments on this or perhaps other alternative routes. I've yet to find any other tuner who offers turbocharging or supercharging options. Are there any others? Anyway, K-Tec's page does state a recent car made 5.3 at 0-60 and 0-100 at 11.9, but me being cynical, you can argue that every car is slightly different and has different mods, been treated differently and so on. Thus irrespective of how accurate it is I'm sure you'll agree you can't judge just on one car - so I want other people's opinions if they have had the experience?

I've made this thread because I'm not someone who expects to get 200bhp on a one grand budget. I'm prepared to pay 5 grand if that's what it takes - but due to the amount of money involved I want conclusive evidence/security that I can meet my requirements.

So, can anyone say whether the supercharger is what I need, or whether I will also need additional parts, or even maybe that 5 grand won't get me the above stats.

Any help is required. I hope to be present at FCS from next year onwards with a quality, very fast 182. So plenty of time.

Thanks guys.

Thanks mate.

Knuckles, it's only a project, won't be keeping it for years and years. Maybe 2 or 3.

Not interested in going round corners at 60 and killing myself. I'm a cautious driver.

I get my thrills from the rush of going quick in a straight line. Everyone's different.

I chose the figures because that way it's quicker than pretty much every hot hatch out there (except modified ones). Which will make me feel good :) and, more importantly - get around them when I can't match them on corners.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Im no expert but Id think due to the weight too much power ends up spinning through the gears...

The supercharger allows power to be up by 80 BHP. I wouldn't have thought 260bhp would have been too much?
I mean the Focus RS500 is another almost 100bhp on top of that still (350 I think) with the same FWD - I think that's where you draw the line maybe in terms of too much power? K-Tec do sell a high boost supercharger which gives 350bhp, maybe that's too much power, but I'm happy with the low boost charger at 260bhp that acclaims the above quoted figures, if indeed it does meet the above requirements. I was hoping there would be a few here with charged and turbo'd Clio's - whenever they read this.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Speak to Chip on here about his Turbo Ph1.

He will point you in the right direction and it won't cost you 5g's

There's far cheaper ways to go quickly in a straight line if that's what floats your boat than a Clio with boost...

But fast enough to achieve the above requirements (i.e. 0-60 in sub 6 seconds, and 60-100 in less than 8)?

If so then fantastic. This is the whole idea of this thread, to get advice and options. Maybe of course like you say forced induction isn't the right way forward.

What other options are there then?

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Buy a 3k seat Leon Cupra r spend 1.5k on a remap/ bigger intercooler, exhaust etc, = fast straight line car that's safe + practical.

Hi Jake + real I think your replies are a little irrelevant?

I've only bought the 182 so I think the idea of buying another car already is a little out of the question! I want to focus on what I've just bought now. Money for mods isn't really a major issue.

But the Cupra's are much more expensive than the Clio's from the start and more importantly I prefer the Clio, it's much lighter and actually looks better. The Cupra's too "big"

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Jake + real I think your replies are a little inappropriate?

Not really inappropriate, just pointing out that if all you're interested in doing is going fast in a straight line then there are cheaper and probably more reliable ways to achieve that goal. It would cost less to chop the clio in for another motor and modify it than it would to spend £££ on your clio... I imagine!
Still they are great cars even in standard trim:).

Last edited:
True.
I think the most important point with me was to get a relatively quick (but different) cheaper car and then I can obviously choose where and how much to spend the real money regarding mods as there are a range of options. That way I can be positive I like the car, too. Everyone's always compared the GTI 180 with the 182 so I thought it's about time I see for myself. Because I could get a low mileage one with FSH for such a bargain I guess that's why I chose it over a more recent and more powerful hot hatch. Also it is part of my problem that I need to develop more confidence in order to take corners quicker to get the best out of the 182. So I see straight line as an advantage whilst I won't be competent at cornering. I think the other part is the fact it's a Clio. Not many people would ever think a Clio could go so fast, so the look on people's faces on the track when they get taken by one would be priceless ;)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Fair enough, but you say you're wanting to track the car? So you'll need to make it handle the power you're wanting to put in it... Or else you'll kill yourself at a lot faster than 60 lol

Forced induction is the way to go.

turbo, supercharger, Megane 2.0t engine swap :)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I think you could get close to those figures if you strip it. Loose everything you don't need; rear seats, all internal trim, ac, power steering, smaller battery decat etc. drill a s**t load of holes in the hidden panels to save a bit more and put it on 14s/15s. save even more weight by adding CF bonnet and doors.

a turbo will get you there as well, but it will cost you near 5k as you need to rebuild the engine internals, uprated clutch/diff etc if you want it to work and last. Chips 172 is nothing less than f**king fast.

LY FF182
Welcome :)

however you want to do straight line speed and acceleration so you buy a car that has those two as its weakest points... Although it will help you get confident in cornering.. I'd suggest getting on a track day while the car is standard and book some tuition to teach you how to take corners properly then start adding power and other bits to take that power!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
lol @ some of the negative posts on here. He wanted a 182, he has a 182. He wants it to go fast in a straight line. Its not impossible! The 182 is fairly quick in a straight line anyway for its class, with a lot of weight saving and ITB's/RS2 I think you could pull those figures easy for under 2K.

lol @ some of the negative posts on here.
Its a discussion. Would be a pretty s**t one if everyone said yeah go for it, no problem, well done. I personally think its madness to look at spending £5K to make a 182 hit 200bhp when there are other small hatches available that would make it easier. In fact, why not just buy a 2nd hand 182 that's already at those figures.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
260bhp in a turbo clio is doable for sub 5k, and will get you from 0-100 in 12 seconds really easily, by that I mean as in not needing a perfect launch, on average tarmac and normal road tyres.

To do that all you need is a bolt on turbo conversion, a drop in CR (thicker gasket easist way) and a decent map on an aftermarket ECU.

To really exploit it though a diff would be useful too, but they arent cheap for the clio box, retail is upwards of a grand for a quaiffe for example.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Its a discussion. Would be a pretty s**t one if everyone said yeah go for it, no problem, well done. I personally think its madness to look at spending £5K to make a 182 hit 200bhp when there are other small hatches available that would make it easier. In fact, why not just buy a 2nd hand 182 that's already at those figures.

Im pretty sure 'buy another car' is not the discussion he was after. What he has asked for is more than possible, yet some on here are acting like its insane to even think of such a thing! If he has the money to do it and want the 182 as his base car, then 'buy another car' is a bit irrelevant.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im pretty sure 'buy another car' is not the discussion he was after. What he has asked for is more than possible, yet some on here are acting like its insane to even think of such a thing! If he has the money to do it and want the 182 as his base car, then 'buy another car' is a bit irrelevant.

Agreed, its worth mentioning as an option when someone says they want a straightline fast car, but not to keep going on and on about once its been established they are keen to stick with a clio and dont mind spending money to acheive what they are after.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
260bhp in a turbo clio is doable for sub 5k, and will get you from 0-100 in 12 seconds really easily, by that I mean as in not needing a perfect launch, on average tarmac and normal road tyres.

To do that all you need is a bolt on turbo conversion, a drop in CR (thicker gasket easist way) and a decent map on an aftermarket ECU.

To really exploit it though a diff would be useful too, but they arent cheap for the clio box, retail is upwards of a grand for a quaiffe for example.

Going that far along, do you think he might as well drop in some forged rods/uprated bolts and increase the pressure a bit to raise the bhp to near 300? what sort of price difference would that incur?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Going that far along, do you think he might as well drop in some forged rods/uprated bolts and increase the pressure a bit to raise the bhp to near 300? what sort of price difference would that incur?

If going forged I would always advise a rebore. Gets to be more work then though.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
be one of the first and just get a Megane 225 lump in there, get 6 gears that way too, it can be done ( has been too )
or.......... with that kind of dollar going about 4K for a mint car 6K for a power job etc............. might as well get a V6! already 255BHP 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, plus you'll not have to worry about telling and or lying to your insurance company, and they look the boll**ks too.

I'd also like to know how long these turbo'd clios last for before the head blows off, chews the belts, bends a rod, eats the clutch, lists goes on and on.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
be one of the first and just get a Megane 225 lump in there, get 6 gears that way too, it can be done ( has been too )
or.......... with that kind of dollar going about 4K for a mint car 6K for a power job etc............. might as well get a V6! already 255BHP 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, plus you'll not have to worry about telling and or lying to your insurance company, and they look the boll**ks too.

I'd also like to know how long these turbo'd clios last for before the head blows off, chews the belts, bends a rod, eats the clutch, lists goes on and on.

Why have all the hassle of fitting a Megane lump just to end up with rubbish rods and pistons anyway?
in what way do you think a turbo will make it kill belts? That's properly non sensical.

My turbo 172 makes a v6 seem VERY slow.

Clio 172 Cup
Someone should also mention about the gear box being made out if tissue paper and any more than 225hp should consider a different gear box to handle power.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Someone should also mention about the gear box being made out if tissue paper and any more than 225hp should consider a different gear box to handle power.

Where did you get the 225bhp figure from?

My last box did nearly 10K miles on a 258bhp engine including trackdays.

I think turbo power damages them less than the same power N/A as its revving less and these boxes dont seem to like revs.

They are a weak point I agree, but just not with the catchall figure you have put up.

Only done a couple of K on my current box (rebuild with a quaiffe LSD) but it feels perfect still, and thats at over 300bhp and driven very hard.

Clio182 turb Audi S5
I've had my 182 for 3years now and a previous one for 2! I wanted more power but didn't want to change car so had a turbo conversion done which cost about £3500 with cam belt change and a few little bits done by andy at engine dynamics.230 is more than enough and well worth the price considering I was looking at audi s and Porsche's. as a everyday car it's fine good mileage and a s**t load of power when you want it!