ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Paint: Wax/Sealant/Curing etc...

Clio 197
Hello. :)

Right, I'm picking-up my car on Monday, with a new paintjob on most of it!

I'm concerned that if I go to work straight away (driving 200 miles a day), I'll pick-up horrible chips and get loads of dirt ingrained in my paint.

Is that the case? Is it worth taking a few days off work, to allow it to cure better?

Ta,

Oms. :)

PS Will maguairs NXT be better or P21s for an initial protective coat (selalant is a no-no on new paint isn't it).

106 GTi
P21s and NXT will both be no no's on new paint unless your painter says otherwise. You should avoid any products that that contain either waxes or sealant as this will effect the paint curing.

New paint will be soft, and aftermarket paint will be sofeter than factory due to the process used. I have found paint to strill be soft to the touch up to two weeks after application. The last set of wheels I had done I waited two weeks before getting tyres on for this reason.

Get a pure bodyshop safe Glaze/Polish for now. Megs hand polish is Good.

http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=9901

Clio 197
So, I'm going to be all covered in chips as soon as I get my car then... :(

Cheers for the link - might get some of that. :)

Apart from taking two weeks off work, there's nowt I can do really. I suppose I could borrow dad's merc in the meantime.

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Oms said:
So, I'm going to be all covered in chips as soon as I get my car then... :(

Cheers for the link - might get some of that. :)

Apart from taking two weeks off work, there's nowt I can do really. I suppose I could borrow dad's merc in the meantime.

Drive slow and keep your distance from cars in front.

Have you not got the Gixxer anymore, ideal time of the year for it ;)

Clio 197
LMAO!

I had to ride it from NW London, to Tunbridge Wells in Kent.

I had to do it via A-road... this thing is only a 50cc scooter too...

It took ALL day, 5 fuel-stops, and a hairy 10 mile ride at 40MPH on the A21 - notorious for people doing 90+!

There's lucky, and there's "jammy bastid", I think I fall into the latter category for getting home alive.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
*awaits thread where oms meets a girl and contemplates doing her over the bonnet, but is worried about the possibility of bum and/or boob imprints in his new paint*