ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New site up and running

Just finished the website for the company I work for.

www.smartpropertymove.co.uk

All nice comments will be appreciated, all criticism will be ignored unless its nice easy small changes, lol. Simply fed up with it now as I have had to spend 5 minutes here and there in my own time doing it, so am chuffed that its finished and working!

Turbos.
Well, i'm sure my early websites were probably worse but i hope your not getting paid for that.

A little basic? That menu font needs anti-aliasing or changing.

172 Cup
cliobuyer said:
Well, i'm sure my early websites were probably worse but i hope your not getting paid for that.

A little basic? That menu font needs anti-aliasing or changing.

Menu font is very rough indeed (well in FF anyway) and the company logo's, Rightmove etc, are awful quality.

Saying that with a few changes made it's not too bad.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
What they said above I'm afraid....

...plus you need to lose the google stuff on the right hand side, not very professional.

Thanks for the comments guys. The bits you have criticised are the bits I haven't had much control over. Font choice for the menu was made for me, google crap I was forced to put on, and the logo quality is down to what I was provided with.

Lay out design, content and production was left up to me. This is the first FULL site I have ever written and am happy with the way its come out. May in time be able to persuade the boss to make me let some changes such as the menu font, remove google crap. Am going to try and source some better logo's but I'm not hopefull.

Cupra
Just my two cents:

1) Change the middle logos, rightmove etc, to PNG and make the white border transparent.

2) Place the address of the office on the front page in bold letters! You are offering appraisals without it being clear for which area.

3) Agree that the menu on top is not quite clear enough.

4) Perhaps a picture of the front of your office building would help to break up all of the text?

I made a quick example for you with the clear images here. Please ignore the site it is attached too, it is still work in progress!

Coming along nicely though

No.

Just kidding. It's better than Frontpage, but I can't use it, it's OK for light users and hobbyists, but not for "proper" developers. No offence to any "proper" developers that use it.

I have macromedia fireworks so can change the pictures to png, will look at getting that done over the next few weeks.

As for whoever has accused me of using frontpage, you can f**k off, was all written by hand in notepad!

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
really?

how can you explain this in the source then?...

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
:p

very easily. The site is a further development of one written by someone else when the company opened. The majority of the text used is from that original site so I have taken the existing site and re-written it using the original files, and have obviously not removed the meta tags for front page:rasp:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I used to be like you lot.. thinking myself an elitist by using notepad.. If I wanted to be really elitist I would say something like..

If you really want to code Vi is where its at ... but thats just sad.

Fact is I code using dreamweaver.. its easy to use does auto uploads to remote servers and highlights the code so you can easily debug it.

I'm not trying to be elitist saying I use notepad, just pointing out I havent used frontpage to produce as that would make people think I have done drag and drop programming which I would never do.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Wasnt speaking to you lol.. but fair enuff.

Seriously stay away from frontpage though, its shockingly bad.

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
KDF said:
I used to be like you lot.. thinking myself an elitist by using notepad.. If I wanted to be really elitist I would say something like..

Fact is I code using dreamweaver.. its easy to use does auto uploads to remote servers and highlights the code so you can easily debug it.
no, if you were being eliteist you'd use a proper ide and code with a proper programming language

lol. flame war starts here ^

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I use vi when I'm developing stuff on linux, it just works and I know the keys! Stick me infront of emacs and I'll melt! ;)

I use visual studio on the PC.
I use XCode on the mac.
I use crossworks when doing embedded stuff.

But, I digress....

Cupra
theduckeatspork said:
I have macromedia fireworks so can change the pictures to png, will look at getting that done over the next few weeks.

As for whoever has accused me of using frontpage, you can f**k off, was all written by hand in notepad!

Or you can copy the ones that I made for you?

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
172.com said:
Make sure they're PNG 8s,32 bit PNGs aren't supported in IE6

Yes they are, just not with alpha channel transparency unless you apply IE's proprietary DXImageTransform AlphaImageLoader filter. ;)

However your CSS will no longer validate so it's best to feed IE specific CSS using conditional comments.

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
i use intellij now, cos it makes me very productive. ie. lots of autocomplete :)

dreamweaver and notepad arent really geared to enterprise java development :p wheres the cvs and ant integration!! lol

Red Cup said:
Yes they are, just not with alpha channel transparency unless you apply IE's proprietary DXImageTransform AlphaImageLoader filter. ;)

However your CSS will no longer validate so it's best to feed IE specific CSS using conditional comments.

But there are still issues when doing that. Best to use 8-bit PNGs

@wanderer. I use a great tool written in Java for developing web sites. jEdit, it rocks my socks.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
KDF said:

Trust me bud, I don't use notepad either. I use dreamweaver and then remove all the crap bits it adds. :)

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
172.com said:
@wanderer. I use a great tool written in Java for developing web sites. jEdit, it rocks my socks.

Yeah looks like its got some useful plugins, but i didnt see any debugging support :)

I only recently learnt to use intellij's debugging, and it really helps find problems without having to f**k about with shitloads of logging to figure out the state of variables and the execution flow