ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New starter motor-is this right?

Renault Clio expression
hello

im new to the forums, just purchased a Renault Clio expression 2001 plate, 42000 miles from a local car dealer...they have advised that they have had to replace the Starter motor...is this a common problem or have i set myself up for a fall already??

any help would be apprreciated!:D

Renault Clio expression
thanks for the repies...yeah tis a 1.2 16V.

Have been told it can fail due to standing for long periods without any starting action...?

im just a bit dubious....i pick the car up saturday and dont want another lemon!!:S

MERCEDES CLS AMG
As Fred said its very unusual for one of these to fail - be careful and get it checked before you hand your cash over

Renault Clio expression
whats the best way to get it checked as they have now replaced it...?

should i have been suspious that the casing around the steering wheel had 'popped open' also...?

im getting a bit worried now!

What is the main cause of it breaking down & needing to be replaced???

Last edited:
think mine is on its way out, if im in traffic too long it will bounce on the revs from 0 to 500rpm and the lights dim in time with it, some times it just dies lol, so i have to sit there for a minute or two revving the fucker up then it stops,

Renault Clio expression
Stopped at the garage last night and the guy told me it was 'intermitant' and wouldnt have lasted another 6 months so they replaced it for me...said it possibly 'worn'...hmmm!!:S

Renault Clio expression
well ive now got her and everything seems fine (fingers xssed!!)

although my heart nearly stopped on saturday when i took the engine cap off and saw that horrible MAYO problem that is a VERY BAD SIGN!!!...but thankfully that was just through lack of use...so hopefully all ok!!

:star:

Renault Clio expression
really????????????????:eek:

dont say that! ive just got rid of my metro cause the head gasket blew and didnt want the worry of it going again after i got it fixed....:(

this is not a good sign....!