ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Telephoto Lens?

Ian

Focus TDCi
As Chris has pointed out in another thread there are currently some very good sale prices at Jessops on lenses and I was thinking about taking advantage of them for a telephoto lens.

So, should I be looking at Canon lenses or is there a comparable Sigma? I'd rather hold out and save up if necessary, instead of keep buying and selling lenses. The camera is a 450d and I'm looking for something to complement the kit lens (18-55mm IS) and a 50mm f1.8 lens.

Also the Sigma 1.4x TC has a saving of £88, so is it worth combining that with a lens?

Cheers for any help,
Ian :)

I have used the 55-250is when I had a 450d and a lot of people rave about it - I for one do not! Its ok, but the build is average and the rotating front end is annoying!!

How about the siggy 70-300 APO, thats a cracking price!

Next on my list I think, having just spent the best part of £550 on a prime and walk around lens, the Siggy is far more appealing than the Nikon 70-300!!!!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
im selling a tamron 70-300mm lens with marco function (canon fitment) if you interested. its only been used about 3 times and comes with a lens hood and UV filter, i bought it from jessops for £250 about a year ago. looking for £100 plus postage

To shoot what?

On paper and from user reviews the new 50-250 IS probably the best bang for the buck, as JJ points out its not built like a tank but you get what you pay for, good optics and IS with a cheap build.

If you can stretch and depending on what you shoot a 70-200 F4L is a very good choice.

Last edited:
Id recommend the 70-200 F4L, I had it and sold it, dosent need to be the IS version tbh....

I paid £300 for mine on ebay, then sold it for £370, you can get a bargin price on there.

I will be buying one from the same series next year, I only sold it to fund the new setup

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers for all the replies. JJ and Chris are on the right lines in terms of budget. Admittedly I didn't put one, but then again the chances are if somebody is buying a 450d rather than a D3X, that their budget isn't going to be top end. :)

I know everything is relative, but for the price do any of the lenses outperform the others? Looks like I'm considering:

• Sigma 70-300mm APO
  • Tamron 70-300mm (James)
  • Canon 55-250mm IS
  • Canon 70-200 F4L
I wouldn't be buying either of the Canon lenses in the sales, I don't have that much after the amount I've spent on other people today.

im selling a tamron 70-300mm lens with marco function (canon fitment) if you interested. its only been used about 3 times and comes with a lens hood and UV filter, i bought it from jessops for £250 about a year ago. looking for £100 plus postage

How come you haven't used it and how come you're selling it James? Could be interested; going to have a look at the ol' reviews first.

To shoot what?

On paper and from user reviews the new 50-250 IS probably the best bang for the buck, as JJ points out its not built like a tank but you get what you pay for, good optics and IS with a cheap build.

If you can stretch and depending on what you shoot a 70-200 F4L is a very good choice.

It'll mainly be for stuff like days out at safari parks and motorsport, wildlife shots etc Pete.

the sigma TC will only work with the 70-200 F4 out of these

Sigma 70-300mm APO
Tamron 70-300mm (James)
Canon 55-250mm IS
Canon 70-200 F4L

The price range is quite different too between them. If you can afford it get the 70-200 f4 L and buy form kerso on ebay to save cash.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Right well looking at this objectively the saving on the Sigma 70-300 APO isn't huge and the Canon lenses are outside of my budget for now, so perhaps it's not the best time to be thinking about getting one; I was just concerned about missing out on the sale. I'm sure there'll be another one though!

Think I'll have plenty to play with once I get the 50mm f1.8 anyway, so will make do without the longer zoom for now. I'm probably going to save up for the Canon F4L.

Cheers for all the advice and suggestions, much appreciated. :)

spending money on a new lens without even using the frigging camera is madness imo. may not even need the reach, might hate shooting motorsport, m ight hate the camera!! and how many times are you planning on going to the zoo??

learn the camera 1st, save yourself the money/hassle and enjoy the kit lens

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lol, hey James. Lenses hold their value, cameras.. not so much. Tbh I'm gonna pursue photography as much as I can this year so finding opportunities to use any lens shouldn't be a problem.

I understand what you mean, but with the sale on it could potentially be a year before prices are this cheap again. I've heard it said, whether true or not, that camera equipment prices won't be as cheap next year. So call it stupidity or call it opportunism I don't mind. ;)

Either way you'll be satisfied as I'm not buying one yet anyway!

Sigma 70-300mm for me.

Its cheap and its great quality for the price. If I suck at motorsport I havent spent a fortune.

Look at some of the pics Chris took with it, superb. Good enough for him, good enough for me :approve:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hopefully if for whatever reason I don't like the camera then I hope the price doesn't depreciate so quickly that it becomes worthless over the course of a week.

Thankfully I asked my mum if I could check the camera before it was hidden away and I reckon it'll be alright.

I know it's not sensible to try three new lenses all at once, but that was never my plan. I'm just trying to be sensible and invest at the right times of year.

Thanks again for the advice, I might revive this thread in a few months.
Ian

P.S Cheers Dan, it's between that and the F4L, depends what deals are on at the time. :)

telephoto zooms just arn't for taking pictures of animals at the zoo or shooting motorsport. I used my 100-400 L to take picture of my son playing in the back garden, I don't tend to use shorter focal lengths since it gets in his way. The kit lens is only a small focal range and I think unless you are only taking specfic shots then having zoom to 300 or 300mm is a great thing to have as it gives you options and an oppertunity to learn more.

spending money on a new lens without even using the frigging camera is madness imo. may not even need the reach, might hate shooting motorsport, m ight hate the camera!! and how many times are you planning on going to the zoo??

learn the camera 1st, save yourself the money/hassle and enjoy the kit lens