ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to detailing guide?

172 Cup
My idea of cleaning the car is either phoning someone to come and clean the car or once in a blue moon I'll "clean" it myself.

I've looked at this section before but to be honest it's a little off putting for someone like me and half the time I've got no idea what the hell you're all talking about.

Personally I want to start giving my car the attention it needs but I've got no idea where to start let alone what products to buy.

Has anyone considered writing/creating a "New to detailing" guide? I know I'd find it useful anyway.

From a personal view point can someone recommend me a decent starter kit for about £40?

ur megane r26
yer griff very good idea mate would be useful to me as well, obv i wouldnt be able to read it str8 away but probli will bcome a member soon neways

TeZ

Non RS : (
I'll see what Kits are about,

If not,
go to clean your car.

And get some Megs shampoo, Sonus drying towel, wash shmit or wools mit, some cloths for polishing , come maksing tape if you dont already have some, some AG SRP and EGP and a good wax and aplicators, also some bumper care (your choice),

But its upto u mate as theres so much out there and so many combos you need to just start with some products, then try out others TBO.

172 Cup
Yeah cheers. I'd seen that guide before. Perhaps I should have explained myself properly.

By "starter" guide I meant something for the absolute novice. I.E To clean your car professionally you will need X, Y, Z etc with recommendations on what products to buy or recommendations of kits for novices.

RB 182
To start I would look to get something like this kit that has all the basics for washing the car, then a decent priced wax like this.

That's the sort of thing I would look to get for the budget of £40, the first kit has everything you need for a swirl free finish.

172 Cup
Pettsi - Cheers for link. I know my old man has some of those in his garage (Glass polish and tar remover at least) so I could always pinch/borrow his.

benclelland - I might just go for that as I don't even own a bucket (That's how much of a novice I am). For someone who's never waxed a car is it easy?

Bumpage, just done a search which led me to this thread.

I'm going to have the vee detailed soon, but in the mean time i'm quite intrigued into all this claying malarky. I've read what it does & how to use it.

I'm after a kit with that 'snow foam' shizz in it & some clay (I wanna go at claying) I have some AG products already (umm, the shampoo, egp & the bottle of protecor stuff) I have some mf cloths & a lambswool mit too.

I don't have a rotor thing (that's too advanced for me)

So what basic start up kit would be good for me ?? Baring in mind I have some products already.
Say as per griff's budget ?? Or am I best buying a small amount of the things separate ? (i might not like cleaning it)

What to buy & where from wolud be most appreciated, i'm not going to Halfrauds & don't really wanna buy megs off the shelf stuff (heard it's ok but not all that brill)

Cheers.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Get a decent polish AG SRP and a decent sealant/wax thats all tbh

106 GTi
Good Basic Kit

Wash - Duragloss
Clay - Meguiars Quick Clay
Polish - Autoglum Super Resin
Sealant- Autoglym Extra Gloss
Wax - Victoria Concours

Should all come in at a reasonable price.

As long as you have no real swirls and defects to correct the above is a good starter kit.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Sealant wise i use Jeffs Carnauba as it is easy to use and looks nice, you can use EGP which is good, Chemical guys Jetseal 109 is easy to use aswell

Wax wise, best to do a search but for Blue i would use Onyx or Dodo Purple HAze or Vic. concours. Some people are using the new R222 but i havent used it so cant comment.

Things like Glazes etc arent always neccesary. The polish is what will bring out the shine properly the sealant/wax are for finishing it off + protection!

Cheers rich & riz :) Can you link me to that stuff please (I have no idea about it)
Good Basic Kit

Wash - Duragloss
Clay - Meguiars Quick Clay
Polish - Autoglum Super Resin
Sealant- Autoglym Extra Gloss
Wax - Victoria Concours

Should all come in at a reasonable price.

As long as you have no real swirls and defects to correct the above is a good starter kit.
I have the polish & sealant (the ones you mention) So i'm cool for those. No real swirls no, or defects. Paints pretty good, never been clayed up though (will see how much cack comes off on it)

Do I wax then seal ?? Or the other way round ?(you can see i'm clueless)

- can you link me to the duragloss & other bits please?

I have AG body shampoo conditioner, never used it though, is it any good ? I have their perfect polishing cloths too.

Thanks a lot.

RB 182
Duragloss Shampoo - Link
Meguiars Quick Clay -Link
Victoria Concours - 3oz or 6oz

The other way round with the wax mate, think of the wax as the cherry on a cake to top it off. This link should clear things up as far as the process goes.

The AG cloths shouldn't be too bad if that's all you have but I wouldn't bother with the shampoo and just buy the Duragloss, don't think I've heard anyone rate the AG Shampoo with various different stories about it, such as making the car look dull etc.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Duragloss Wash - http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Duragloss_901_Car_Wash_Concentrate_1.html

Victoria Concours Wax http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/victoria-wax/victoria-wax-3oz-concours-wax/prod_312.html

Polish, Seal, (getting how ever many layers of sealant you want on) then wax.

Not a big fan of the AG Shampoo, or the polishig clothes. I only use them for throw away dirty jobs.

Worth investing in some Foam Hand Pads and microfiber cloths.

What shampoo and cloths do you use then Rich?
Cheers mate!

106 GTi
Duragloss Wash - http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Duragloss_901_Car_Wash_Concentrate_1.html

Victoria Concours Wax http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/victoria-wax/victoria-wax-3oz-concours-wax/prod_312.html

Polish, Seal, (getting how ever many layers of sealant you want on) then wax.

Not a big fan of the AG Shampoo, or the polishig clothes. I only use them for throw away dirty jobs.

Worth investing in some Foam Hand Pads and microfiber cloths.

What shampoo and cloths do you use then Rich?
Cheers mate!

I use the Duragloss Wash.

Microfibers a mixed bunch really, Poorboys DMT's, Sonus Der Wunder Buffing Towels and Pakshak Ultra Plushes.

Megane R26
You can get all you need from Halfords in sunny Bescot :)

Megs Gold Class Shampoo - £6
AG SRP - £10 for 1L at the mo
AG EGP - £11 I think

Tyre dressing... whichever, but Megs Endurance is good for £7ish.

Then you have glass polish etc in your garage.

Megane R26
Or, if you can be ar$ed, you can bring it round to my house and I'll show you the ropes with the AG stuff - I don't mind.

Cheers for all the info folks:) So much to read through. I might do it next sat if I get a chance, so it's looking spanking ofr the Mimms meet :cool:

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Best cloths are serious performance monster fluffies without a doubt i own all the others and these are phenomenal

1 Series Coupe
Cheers for all the info folks:) So much to read through. I might do it next sat if I get a chance, so it's looking spanking ofr the Mimms meet :cool:

If u want to try your hand at using a PC you can borrow mine? I'll sit on a deckchair with a nice cold beer and watch :)

172 ph2
I might get slated for this but before I got into the whole detailing thing I just used megs gold class wax and no other product. You know what, it looked almost as good as a full polish and wax with the other products i've spent god knows how much on.

Just getting into it it was so easy, just wash it properly and then do the megs gold class and it looked pretty good tbh! Of course it does look better after spending hours doing it properly but it's worth considering if you don't want to spend hours an ££ imo.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Griff my advice...Just keep it looking tidy. Get ther basics.

SRP and a cheap wax.

I've spent a hell of alot on detailing products! - Now i've got combo's that work and i'll stick to them.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Best cloths are serious performance monster fluffies without a doubt i own all the others and these are phenomenal

Where does everyone get the cloths from? Are there any good sites that are cheap and/or you get a clio sport discount?...

Still need to pick up some wax for Arctic Blue... If money is no object, whats the best to use by hand? Also, would it come with the pads? Never done it before so need to pop my cherry ASAP!...

Mito Sportiva 135
For general use MFs go to Costco, bags of 50 for like a fiver! Not THE best quality but fine for general use...a definite bargain of the century!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

Where does everyone get the cloths from? Are there any good sites that are cheap and/or you get a clio sport discount?...

Still need to pick up some wax for Arctic Blue... If money is no object, whats the best to use by hand? Also, would it come with the pads? Never done it before so need to pop my cherry ASAP!...

Cloths/pakshaks from Cleanandshiny or the monster fluffies are from seriousperformance