ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new to forums!

01 Clio 172 PH1
hi guys thought i'd drop by and introduce myself
had 2 e36s, a 323i (totaled after 3 weeks), a 328i with mt tranny swap (engine and shell gave up after 2 years after replacing basically everything new except for engine, interior and body)
had a jdm subaru gc8 sti type r (sold after 3 engines and 1.5 years of ownership)

so now i bought myself a clio 172 to have fun in
had the car for about 7 months....constant problems and money pit

did the cam and aux belts..waterpump and gearbox selector seal because it was pissing oil then found out the front subframe wishbone mounts were poorly welded onto the subframe after being taken out by improper installation of powerflex bushings from PO

so i asked my mechanic to get a used subframe for me from scrapyard... but apparently he got one from a 1.2 that was previously installed on a 172 as well and failed to let me know he didnt install the lower transmission mount because the hole is missing which i found out later

anyways, after replacing subframe and several hundred km later, steering became vague and heavy, noticed the car was understeering a bit more than before into corners and sometimes it clunked when turning the wheel. i also had to hold the wheel either to the left or to the right a bit to go straight, had an alignment shop check it out and found steering rack bushings had gone

so i did powerflex black steering bushings and ktec engine mounts + powerflex black dogbone mount at the same time, steering got a bit better but the clunk and the steering weirdness is still there, gearbox is still pissing oil and i still have to replace the subframe again... also got wishbones to see if it will fix the issue

then power steering pump started squeaking but after ignoring it for around 1000km it stopped, gearbox selector bushings needs to be replaced as well and gearbox centering spring snapped while i was shifting to reverse.........

already spent more than what i paid for the car with parts and labor fixing it but some problems are still there... 😞

Welcome. Bet you thought it'd get better after owning a Scooby. Got 2 guys I work with driving scoobies and they're always fixing the 'reliable japanese cars'!! At least Renault parts are cheap and usually easy to find on this forum. Post some pics, we always want pics. Cheers

01 Clio 172 PH1
thanks guys
problems always show up faster than i can fix them...i do drive my cars pretty hard though

anyways..have a pic :grinning:
i don't really care about the exterior of the car as stone chips will destroy anything i do to it but i do try and keep it the mechanical stuff in top condition
IMG_2059_resized.png

01 Clio 172 PH1
we don't get roads or tracks like the UK does :tonguewink:
5 hour drive to the closest track in china...so its all spirited drives