ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New track tyres...what's best?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Looking to purchase some new track tyres, currently running toyo 888 and find them great but I have never tried anything else?

The 888 I notice are not great in the wet haha so might look at getting the Federal RSR for wet and dry days?
Also looking for some more for when it's dry?

Open to all suggestions for wet and dry days

Thanks Josh

mk1 Octavia VRS
I'm using AD08rs and they are very good, even when damp/wet. Haven't tried the others but I have been hearing great things about the nankangs, they are probably worth a go if you want to save some cash.

Clio Cup
@Josh

Have you not thought about full Slicks for Dry days now youve got the Spare wheels

Ive seen Federal have brought out some that look a level up from RSRs - FZ-201 that look good , too new to have any real feedback but if the RSR is anthin to go by then maybe the might be worth a go ?

My Marangonis are on their last legs , i think 1 more day will kill them off so im looking for something else

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
I've used the RSR's for a couple of years and recently opted for the R888's to try out, and they're definitely better. However, I'm not sure they justify the almost double cost.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Yeahh might get some full slicks for the dry days now and then get some RSR for when it's wet/damp see how that goes

Renault Clio 172 cup
If you have tried 888's and want more then you need to look some. Nankang nsr2's dont get near a 888 on track, they are crap in the wet and take an awful long time to warm up ( even when dry ), ok on the back of a clio but understeer like a bugger on the front. I have yet to find a better tyre in the dry than a 888. In the wet Toyo r1R's have been the best I've tried at a decent price . The best by far wet tyre I've used has been the 888 in SG ( soft compound ) , didnt last long but on a wet and icy cadwell I had steam pouring out of the tyres and actually got them up to decent temperature even in the wet.
As a suggestion I'd look into marangoni zeta, maxxis zr9, or just slap some toyo r1r's on and dont do stupidly long sessions.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Yeahh since posting I have found some 888 for a decent price for the dry and might look at some rainsports for the wet heard good things about them too and not to expensive

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
full slicks for dry days, literally no point in anything else as they all utter toss in comparison

i'm on RSR's for wet but not ideal, supposedly the R1R's are better in the wet so may try them next

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have just ordered another set of wheels for dry tyres, using RSR's at the moment I was going to have them as a all rounder but they worked well on the wet day I did a few weeks ago so keeping them for wet days and road driving and getting some Dunlop DZ03G for dry.
From what I have read they do not go off like 888's and they last quite a while

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
full slicks for dry days, literally no point in anything else as they all utter toss in comparison

i'm on RSR's for wet but not ideal, supposedly the R1R's are better in the wet so may try them next

Do you know what slicks are best or have any idea about size ect ect

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I tend to use old ginetta race slicks, dunlops or Michelins, usually medium compound and fit is usually 19/58 or 20/60 iirc.