ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new useful tools!

Cup Packed FF200
:) not sure where else to post this one, but Ive brought a new piece of kit that I hope will help with the electrical side of any work i do, until now its been a multimeter and circuit diagrams!??!?!?

OBDII can supported fault reader, and a set of CD's with manuals, parts, diagrams etc.

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

Has anyone else had a bash at diagnosing there own faults using PC software (I havent installled the sottware yet)

It seems better than the cheao fault readers, the windows software ones have alot more diagnosing tools etc.

Cup Packed FF200
Wherer did you get asll the software discs from?

*cough cough e cough bay cough*

I don't usually go for that sort of thing, but Im having real trouble finding any 172 literature.

The software for the OBD scanner is all on one disc, those CD's are the Renault service discs with pdf guides on, parts etc.

Cup Packed FF200
got it all up and running today, right game.

Theres around 3 or 4 diagnostic programs that run the software needed for basic diagnostic testing (engine only - no airbag or ABS - not that im bothered seeing as I dont have ABS and hardly any airbags)

The software looks good, you can run full tests of the Oxygen sensor(s), map sensors etc.

Hopefully i wont need to use it much, but I am going to test it on the missus clio, dont want to break mine! ha ha :) :)

Cup Packed FF200
Just an update really...

Seeing as I used to be a motorcar engineer and do all my own work, the only tool I was really missing was a good diagnostic setup. So I invested in a decent laptop and OBDII diagnostic apps/conectors a few months back. (see above)

Recently just been helping people for free to get more experience. Dealers/garages charge a fortune, and some small garages just have crap cheap plug in conectors that just turn the engine light off and don't even give a report.

I have now got to grips with most of the software, only thing that cannot be done unless you spend a fortune is airbag diagnostics/lights (not that you would want to turn them off!). I can pretty much do anything now, from diagnostics to adjustment and mapping.

I recommend this to anyone who has experience in the motortrade and wants to expand their toolbox with a really useful piece of kit!

Cup Packed FF200
Was it expensive ? Can u send me the link

Will dig out the info chaps. Obviously you need a pretty good PC if you want to run the applications quick. The actual diagnostic tool that plugs in to the PC and car was actually fairly cheap, and most of the software was free, but limited. You have to buy a full version if you want the dogs nads.

James

RSC 182 Cup
James, have you tried out that OBDII interface yet on your Clio?

I bought the same one about 6 months ago (for another car, but have tried it on my 182) and found it didn't work too well on my RSC. I then got in contact with a local guy who writes OBDII software and he checked it out for me..... his findings indicated my RSC wasn't communicating in accordance with the OBDII standards.

Bascially, Renault have stuffed up with their protocol. Only one program would give me some data and (from what he said) it doesn't interface efficiently and just constantly polls for data? That was the only reason it would work.

Cup Packed FF200
James, have you tried out that OBDII interface yet on your Clio?

I bought the same one about 6 months ago (for another car, but have tried it on my 182) and found it didn't work too well on my RSC. I then got in contact with a local guy who writes OBDII software and he checked it out for me..... his findings indicated my RSC wasn't communicating in accordance with the OBDII standards.

Bascially, Renault have stuffed up with their protocol. Only one program would give me some data and (from what he said) it doesn't interface efficiently and just constantly polls for data? That was the only reason it would work.

Yes works fine mate on mine. Had it on my Clio 3 or 4 times, and about 5 other clios from S reg upwards - no problems!

Infact not had any probs on any car yet, inc Rover 214, BMW 316, 306 Turbo Diesel etc - all fine.

It may be worth you trying a few different applications, some work better than others, but I use about 6 apps and they all connect and pick up 'all' the data from the ECU.

Evo 8 MR
That software looks awesome and it's only £60 I expected it to be more like £600 but to be fair if I got it I would probably end up causing problems to my engine rather than resolve any lol.

Wow £39 for the hardware aswell thats mint just to check where bouts is the diagnostic port in Clios?

Would it be possible to reprogram key fobs to the immobiliser by utilising this software?

Last edited:
  Cup Packed FF200
That software looks awesome and it's only £60 I expected it to be more like £600 but to be fair if I got it I would probably end up causing problems to my engine rather than resolve any lol.

Wow £39 for the hardware aswell thats mint just to check where bouts is the diagnostic port in Clios?

Would it be possible to reprogram key fobs to the immobiliser by utilising this software?

Remember the actual OBD2 socket and diagnostic terminal if you like was reasonable in cost (eg £60-100) but a decent laptop costs £300 so not cheap! Obviously if you have a spare one or are able to nick your missus like I did it helps:D

Then the software is free, unless you want full working versions, obviously thats out there with cracks etc anyway.

Diagnostic port is under the ashtray in the central console from R reg (newer shape on) through to my 53 reg, not had to diagnose any later than that.

Cup Packed FF200
What apps are you using?

Try the trial version of this software and see if it works: http://www.glmsoftware.com/Default.aspx

It's got some good stuff on it like a "digital dashboard" function. I'd be interested to see if you can get it to work- it won't on mine.

Never seen that one but I have loads of software which I have built up:

The main apps I use are AutoEnginuity, Digimoto, PCMscan, Proscan4, Scanmaster, Scan tool, Vehicle Explorer, Airbag Resetter
endless...thats about 50%. Chip tuning apps such as Dimensione Sport I haven't used yet.

I also have Stereo decoding apps for every manufacturer, about a million PDF's and I'm not joking, Every trouble code for every manufacturer, airbag software for every car.

Out of all of this I've probably used about 1%:eek:

hmh

Renault Clio RS 172 ph1
Diagnostic port is under the ashtray in the central console from R reg (newer shape on) through to my 53 reg, not had to diagnose any later than that.
Could you post a foto of that? I borrowed a scanner (Equus Innova) but couldn't find a socket to plug in in my Clio RS 172. There's some socket under ashtray but it is plugged into some other socket...

hmh

Renault Clio RS 172 ph1
Found it under the ashtray. It appeared to be under plastic cap, which I couldn't open last time and thaught it was something else. Now going to borrow scanner again. Going to attach couple of fotos as soon as I find out how.

Cup Packed FF200
Just a few of the probs I have sorted out in the last couple of months...

2005 VW Beetle Cabriolet - Crank Position Sensor Malfunction
2003 Astra - Misfire Cylinder 4
2002 Rover 25 - CO2 reading too high from lamda, (Catayltic converter internals broken/perished)
2003 Clio 172 - Full engine diagnostic check including full running system monitoring and dyno run
1999 Clio 1.2 - basic diagnostic check
1998 Clio 1.2 - basic diagnostic check
2000 E46 BMW - Oil Sensor malfunction
2001 306 Turbo Diesel - Various faults

Toyota Corolla
Will dig out the info chaps. Obviously you need a pretty good PC if you want to run the applications quick. The actual diagnostic tool that plugs in to the PC and car was actually fairly cheap, and most of the software was free, but limited. You have to buy a full version if you want the dogs nads.

James

I don't suppose you could send me a link/info for this to? :D
Cheers,

James

CLIO Iceberg 172
be warned nearly all the obdII elm chip units on ebay and other well known sites are all fakes and will not communicate with the car you need to buy a proper unit from scantool.net its a much better unit and is garrentieed to function

Cup Packed FF200
be warned nearly all the obdII elm chip units on ebay and other well known sites are all fakes and will not communicate with the car you need to buy a proper unit from scantool.net its a much better unit and is garrentieed to function

Ebay is full of sh1t I would agree there, and I can't comment on the quality of scantool.net items.

However my ELM327 I have communicates fine with 99% of the cars I have worked on (OBD2 and 2001 onwards seems to give better results).

Its usually the software thats the pain in the arse to be honest - the hardware works fine. I have around 20 apps and I would say only a handful are actually worth using.

Its worth noting the advantage of using a laptop aswell is imense, the things you can do with the applications is amazing, as opposed to a hand held fault code reader.

I'd also note you really need to to know a bit about computers, I had to set up comm ports/serial ports and communication settings for each app, thats a challenge before you actually get to the diagnostics!