ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Wheels - Stupid Question Time!!!

02 Clio 172Mk2
Morning Cliosport Fans!

OK - I'm a bit new to all this sports car stuff, and I'm about to get some shiny new wheels for my black '02 172. (Probably OZ Superleggera or Ultraleggera....)

Now time for the stupid question of the day.....ready? Do you:

Buy a set of 4 wheel rims from a supplier, then they ship them to my home where I take them and my car to Quik-Fit or similar and they just exchange the rims on my car, putting the existing rubber on the new rims and the old rims in the boot to store in the shed....

or.....

Buy a set of 4 wheels from a supplier with rubber who also fits them at the same time, cutting out the shipping part?

Problem is that there are no real decent wheel suppliers in Bath where I live, so if I need the second option I'll have to travel somewhere to get them fitted. Anywhere recommended in the South West from anyone?

How do other people get new wheels onto their rides? Thoughts please.....

Cheers. Genius.

Turbos.
Get the wheels shipped to you and just look in Yellow Pages or Yell.com for local tyre fitters. If you ring around you will get a good deal in comparison to the online retailers.

320d
I'd buy a wheel and tyre package that way you'll be able to get a tyre upgrade relatively cheaply

Get them delivered to your house and fit them yourself, if you take just a set of alloys to quickfit or similar they won't swop your tyres over onto new rims and fit them because you haven't bought anything from them and they don't touch parts unknown to them because of insurance liability

02 Clio 172Mk2
Cool - thanks for the thoughts. Any additional thoughts on sticking with the original size versus something bigger, and any thoughts on a potential reliable supplier with decent reputation?

Cheers. Genius.

Renault clio RSi 1.6 16v
There is a Halfords in Bath and they do some wheel + tyre deals, the choice is probably not great but they may be able to order what you want.

It's a shame there isnt a Demon Tweeks in the area, I visit the DT store (in N wales) when I'm seeing my mates up there. Their choice of wheels is great (about 20 pages in the catalog) and the fitting bay is very proffesional (white tiled and looks polished + clinical, it's a real nice set up) it makes a great day out even if your not buying and there is often a burger van in the big carpark so you can sit and admire your new wheels with a can of coke and a burger once they are fitted, they can even fill your tyres with a racing formula 'air' for better pressure! (so they say):S

I'm near Bath so if your feeling kind I'll have your 'old' alloys!!!! :)