ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New windscreen need info

H

Huffski

Im thinking its time to get a new windscreen seeing as mine has a massive crack but i dont have windscreen cover on my insurance so does anyone know how much it would cost without? Also do they replace it with one that has the blue heat reflective layer on it and do they also remount the light/rain senor ? Cheers

BMW M135I
Think i was quoted 350 quid for a replacement without windscreen cover. Ill check my emails to see if ive got the quote still.

Another option is to use a second hand one from a car breakers or something. I was told £110 for a second hand one and that was fitted.

H

Huffski

cheers danny can u remember who the quote was from and laura i dint want to pay the extra at the time and me bein me dint think he would ever get a chip coz i have never had one before

BMW M135I
If you mean for a new windscreen, it was autoglass. I used there online system to get a quote which automatically gets a discount which was quite considerable difference but still expensive, I cant find the quote on my emails so i must have deleted it.

The second hand windscreen was from Doncaster Motor Spares

Another option you could do, depending on the size of the crack, is ring up the insurance and get windscreen cover added now and in a week or two ring up saying something happened on a motorway run or something

PH1 V6
Autoglass are a massive rip off avoid them if you can. I have a big crack on mine and today have been doing some reasearch. after not alot of searching at all i have found a company who will replace my screen with a brand new one (with rain sensor) for £148 inc vat. Several other companies where quoting around this figure.

They guy i spoke to who quoted me this price was really helpfull and explained why autoglass charge alot more etc. This guy told me exactly where he buy the windscreens in from, that they are all EU approved etc etc and work is all guaranteed.

So pleased as Autoglass quoted me £325!!!

Clio 182
The reason AG quote you such high prices is because they aim at the Insurance market and not cash paying customers thats why the independents do much better prices than them.

Darrell

H

Huffski

Thanks once again Darrell for helping me out got it booked in for tomorrow morning at half 8 nice chaps aswell

PH1 172, E39
I changed the rubber around my wind shield recently and I realised that the top long one is not holding down.
Would silicone do the trick or a special glue?

Thanks

Golf GTTDI 150
i put a standard screen in my clio and disconnected the sensor but it brought the serv light on so i stuck it in the black spots and the wipers and lights worked fine dont know if the auto lights or the rain sensor worked still but everything works fine manually car was sold today and is off to Germany to be used as a track car anyways screen was 80 quid new......

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
I was told to ask for 'pilkington' glass as it's a better quality. Believe it or not you can get cheap glass fitted that comes from the likes of japan.