ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New York City at Christmas

Trip number 6 (I think), last year we managed to get stuck on the runway in the snow and never made it, so we booked the exact same dates etc for this year. Bit of good fortune really, as the weather was superb, the missus worked out we've spent over 30 days in NYC and had 25 completely clear sunny days.

Anyhow, we wanted to see it all at Christmas and it didn't disappoint, insanely busy but we managed to squeeze everything we wanted to do in 5 days and nearly all of it on foot. It was my first time with the Micro 43s kit and it was a revelation in terms of walking around, my small Crumpler shoulder bag comfortably holding two bodies, 3 lens, 5 batteries, 10 memory cards, a Gorillapod, my wallet and phone.

#1 - Chrysler Building from 5th Avenue
PC220481a-L.jpg

#2 - The High Line (an old elevated train line converted into a park, it's stunning)
P1080218a-L.jpg

#3 - Guggenheim Museum
PC220521a-L.jpg

#4 - Sunset from Brooklyn Bridge
P1070902a-L.jpg

#5 - Brooklyn Bridge taken from Brooklyn
P1070946a-L.jpg

#6 - FDNY boat putting on an impromptu show on the East River
PC180149a-L.jpg

#7 - Brooklyn Bridge taken from Brooklyn on yet another stunning evening
PC210414a-L.jpg

#8 - A trip out to The Bronx to see the Holiday Train Show
P1080293a-L.jpg

#9 - Holiday Train Show
PC210461a-L.jpg

#10 - Radio City Hall
P1080073a-L.jpg

#11 - Top of the Rock at 8:40am
P1080017a-L.jpg

#12 - Another beautiful day from Top of the Rock
PC190221a-L.jpg

#13 - Lego Store, Rockefeller Center
PC190270a-L.jpg

#14 - Top of the Rock in the evening
PC190292a-L.jpg

#15 - Radio City Hall
PC200335a-L.jpg

#16 - The Tree at Rockefeller Center
PC200366a-L.jpg

Lots more here: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/Travel/New-York-2011

DB.

BMW 440i
Best thread of 2011 for me, FACT!!

Im going out again next Christmas/New Year hopefully! Great shots!

172 Cup
Great photos. I went for 10 nights in September & loved every minute i was there.

If you dont mind me asking but how much did you pay to be there for 5 days during the christmas period? Send a pm if you like. I want to go during christmas next year to see it all.

Great photos. I went for 10 nights in September & loved every minute i was there.

If you dont mind me asking but how much did you pay to be there for 5 days during the christmas period? Send a pm if you like. I want to go during christmas next year to see it all.

£1300 for the two of us, that was 5 nights in the Hotel Pennsylvania and flights with Delta. We've stayed in the Penn every time but I wouldn't recommend it to others (check out TripAdvisor for a good laugh), superb location opposite Penn Station/MSG but some of the rooms are pretty iffy. We're used to it and have never had a bad experience (our room this time was the best yet), but then we would get up at 5:30am every day, head out then not come back until 10pm so it's literally somewhere to crash.

Superb! :D

What are the Lego bits?

The Lego Store has a floor to ceiling Lego pick and mix thing where you can fill a cup with what you like, pretty impressive. They have the same for Minifigs, bins full of parts that you can put together whatever you like.

172 Cup
£1300 for the two of us, that was 5 nights in the Hotel Pennsylvania and flights with Delta. We've stayed in the Penn every time but I wouldn't recommend it to others (check out TripAdvisor for a good laugh), superb location opposite Penn Station/MSG but some of the rooms are pretty iffy. We're used to it and have never had a bad experience (our room this time was the best yet), but then we would get up at 5:30am every day, head out then not come back until 10pm so it's literally somewhere to crash.

Thanks mate, thought it would be around that price due to the time of year. We paid around £1400 for 10 nights & flights & stayed in The New Yorker.

Thanks mate, thought it would be around that price due to the time of year. We paid around £1400 for 10 nights & flights & stayed in The New Yorker.

Sounds like a good price, my folks are looking to go in Jan and they're looking at £1100 for the two of them for 4 nights in the New Yorker and flights. Always wanted to stay there but have never been able to afford it considering we go pretty much every year. We usually go in Feb for 5 nights, it's cost us as little as £750 in total before.

We ate in the Tick Tock Diner a few times (it's our favourite place to eat), the day we arrived it was on the news as it caught fire! As with everything in NYC they had it re-opened in no time.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Brilliant place. Definitely going next year again, a little later though... we just saw them putting up the decorations, left 3 days before the switch on... devestated!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Awesome shots!

I've stayed in the Pennsylvania twice, agreed the location is spot on and most of the rooms are iffy.

275 Trophy
Love these shots. Can never be bothered to get up at that time myself - usually hungover. Stayed at both The Penn and New Yorker; also eaten in Tick Tock diner. Getting married in NYC April '13 :)

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Great photos, really brings back memories from when I went. Hotel Pennsylvania is in a great location I stayed there when I went.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely pictures.

I love NY at Xmas. Was there a couple of years ago. Off again in the summer next year. First time I've ever been in the summer.

RB One Eight Two
Amazing set of shots. A place in America I have yet to visit but is high up on my list.

SG9 Forester STi
So glad I ventured into this thread. Amazing photos and as said before thanks for sharing!

What body and lens were you using? Great shots!

Two Micro Four Thirds bodies for me...

Panasonic G3 with the Olympus 45mm 1.8
Olympus E-PL2 with a Panasonic 14mm 2.5 or Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye

Over the moon with them, I never missed a DSLR at all, which surprised me a bit.

What body did you use the most? I want to get another micro for the misses and the oly is good value! Although G3 has also come down in price a fair bit!

What body did you use the most? I want to get another micro for the misses and the oly is good value! Although G3 has also come down in price a fair bit!

Pretty even I think, I really like both of them. If it wasn't for motorsport I could probably live without the G3 (although the swivel LCD was pretty useful)

I would go with the Oly if I had to have one.