ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My trip to New York

Meg 225
Last Friday i came back from a trip to NY together with my girlfriend. What a mindblowing city!! Everything is so BIG and so impressive! I just wanted to show some pic's of the trip, nothing special cause most of the time i walked around with my Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (Which i bought on the first day in NY ;) ) on my D7000 so nothing to creative and a difficult lens to get nice pic's with cause of the distortion on 11mm.

So here are a few:

The Flat Iron building shot with my Nikon 10.5mm fish eye

7154042461_caea673004_z.jpg

Flat Iron Building NY by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

Grand Central station

7154044007_fa4677fe41_z.jpg

Grand Central Terminal NY by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

view on Central Park From Top of the Rock

7154057579_d26f6c5bdc_z.jpg

Top of the Rock NY by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

Brooklyn Bridge

7154047102_c89b9818e6_z.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan view by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

Brooklyn Bridge

7154136123_d42b661993_z.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

Sunset Top of the Rock

7154141855_a1e5b48975_z.jpg

Top of the Rock by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

7154143233_e078583fef_z.jpg

Top of the Rock by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

Ellis Island Museum

7154111210_9aaa1fe292_z.jpg

Ellis Island by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

9/11 memorial

7154231298_a2f0c6f9cd_z.jpg

9/11 Memorial by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

7154228360_c67be9b415_z.jpg

7154218984_4db4e83f35_z.jpg

View NY @ night from Empire State Building

7154270172_a79c60c8b4_z.jpg

New York skyline from Empire State Building by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

7154271728_4b0882a379_z.jpg

7154273604_212ec294d3_z.jpg

7154276722_b2a36e9db2_z.jpg

C&C Welcome ofcourse!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
The memorial looks beautiful, I went this time last year and it was still a construction site. Your photos have made me want to go back!

Arctic Blue FF 182
Great photo's! I went to New York about 6 weeks after 9/11 so saw it a bit differently. Can't wait to get back, absolutely loved it there!

Nice shots, really like the Central Station shot and some of the night shots too.
I really want to go to NYC at some point!

Meg 225
Thanks for the comments! NYC is sooooo great, i really want to go back soon even though i been there last week lol
The 9/11 memorial is a breathtaking spot, the day i was there was the day Tower One became the tallest building of NYC!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nice pictures. Looks like a great place, its always somewhere i have wanted to go!

Hopefully i will get out there next year.

How long did you go for? When ive spoke to a few people who have went for 7 days they have all said you need to go for 14 to do/see everything really.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Awesome photos! The 9/11 memorial shots are great.

Been a couple of times and want to go back quite badly. I went for 10 days on my second visit and that was enough. Spent far too much.

Meg 225
Nice pictures. Looks like a great place, its always somewhere i have wanted to go!

Hopefully i will get out there next year.

How long did you go for? When ive spoke to a few people who have went for 7 days they have all said you need to go for 14 to do/see everything really.

It depends really what YOU want to see, i went the 26th of Aypril and left there on 3th of May. I had booked tickets to Top of the rock, Empire SB, National Museum of American History and the Ferry to see Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, these bookings save a lot of time. Just buy a 7-day metrocard and you come everywhere superfast!

list things i've done seen:
- Top of the Rock (observation deck on the Rockefeller Center) 2 times, daytime and sunset
- Empire state building
- Ferry SOL and Ellis Island
- Shopping on Herald Square (Macy's and some other store's Madison square Garden is also here)
- Shopping 5th Avenue, it's THE fashion fancy shopping street in NY
- Walking over Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn to Manhattan
- Visit 9/11 Memorial
- Time Warner Center (shopping warehouse with all kind of different stores
- Breakfasting on Union Square like loads of NY'ers do, sort of park
- Times Square
- Walk and shop around China Town, NoHo, SoHo, Little Italy
- Flat Iron District with the Flat Iron Building ofcourse
- Visit National Museum of American History
- Visit Central Park

and maybe some other things i can't come up to right now. We did loads of stuff each day so we we're really tired when we came back but the city gives you energy when you're there!! And we even did/do/see some things twice so IF you want to see everything i say you would need max 10 days, but i hope/want to go back there within a year, words can't express how great it is to walk in NY as someone who comes from a small town in Holland lol

Great shots Paul, looks like you had some fantastic weather.

I love the Ellis Island entrance shot, almost looks like one of those artist impressions as it's perfectly composed with the towers lined up with the glass roof.

275 Trophy
Some good shots there. I've been many times and I'm getting married in Central Park next year. I was up both the Twin Towers back in 2001 in fact; sureal when I saw them coming down.

Meg 225
Awesome photos! The 9/11 memorial shots are great.

Been a couple of times and want to go back quite badly. I went for 10 days on my second visit and that was enough. Spent far too much.

New York is expensive and you're tending to invest in things you don't need that are cheaper in NY!

Great shots Paul, looks like you had some fantastic weather.

I love the Ellis Island entrance shot, almost looks like one of those artist impressions as it's perfectly composed with the towers lined up with the glass roof.

Thanks!

Some good shots there. I've been many times and I'm getting married in Central Park next year. I was up both the Twin Towers back in 2001 in fact; sureal when I saw them coming down.

I proposed to my girl on top of the rock during sunset! I've seen lots of couples doing wedding/engagment photo's in Central Park, such a romantic place! Very jealous on you mate!
Some really great shots there.

I need/want to invest in a fish eye.

i bought mine 2nd hand, and as i don't use it quite often the times i used all turned out as very nice/interesting pic's so definetely worth the investment!

Iceberg Clio 172
such an amazing city, loved my holiday there in 2009! bit daunting and overwhelming at first but you soon get used to it!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I don't get how they work. Is it an actual lens, or just an attachments which goes over your standard lens?

Actual lens mate. The screw on attachments are useless IMO.

Gorgeous shots Paul, I'm very jealous!

Meg 225
Actual lens mate. The screw on attachments are useless IMO.

Gorgeous shots Paul, I'm very jealous!

Indeed an actual lense.

Thanks for the nice comments, was a bit unsure if they where 'photography' section worthy shots as i see a lot skilled images in this section all the time!

Merc A class
Nice Images

How much did this trip cost roughly PM if you want mate, looking at doing something similar!

Meg 225
Well we booked flying tickets and hotel separately and got it fairly cheap imo. We booked flight tickets at http://skyscanner.net you'll need to watch that site on a daily base to find out what day and from where the tickets are the cheapest, we've got ours for €395,- p.p. economy class with United Airlines from Frankfurt to Newark Airport (small but much nicer i've been told then the extreme huge JFK airport). Then we've booked the Park Central NY Hotel (http://www.parkcentralny.com/) ,on booking.com i believe, for €1350,- (7 days with no breakfast, lunch or dinner) and that was a cheap deal for that hotel. The hotel was located just under Central Park so location was superb!
I believe if you book a hotel more downtown it can be found much cheaper, but we've decided for a more central location but that's just something personal
So all in all that was for 1725gbp, we ate most of the time like NY'ers self did and not in fancy restaurants but i think food and drinks are just as expensive as in London or so

When ive spoke to a few people who have went for 7 days they have all said you need to go for 14 to do/see everything really.

We've never been longer than 5 nights and have managed to squeeze everything we wanted to do in (including a day off to somewhere different most times, i.e. Coney Island or New Jersey), and we do 99% on foot. Out the hotel door at 7am and then flat out until about 10pm...only problem is you need a holiday after!

Also depends on the time of year though, we go in February which means virtually no queues fo anything, which cuts down on the time needed quite significantly.

14 days would kill me, quite frankly, I've never known or spoken to anyone who has done more than 7 days just in New York.

Meg 225
We've never been longer than 5 nights and have managed to squeeze everything we wanted to do in (including a day off to somewhere different most times, i.e. Coney Island or New Jersey), and we do 99% on foot. Out the hotel door at 7am and then flat out until about 10pm...only problem is you need a holiday after!

Also depends on the time of year though, we go in February which means virtually no queues fo anything, which cuts down on the time needed quite significantly.

14 days would kill me, quite frankly, I've never known or spoken to anyone who has done more than 7 days just in New York.

lol indeed you need a holiday after

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Ah cool thanks. 5-7 days certainly makes things a lot cheaper!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Going for a 3 week road trip in the USA next month, starting in NYC, then down to Miami. Flying to Vegas and doing San Fran, Seattle etc :-D excited, much!

BG Clio 182
Lovely shots i love New York, been a few times now, last time in 2010 Went in 2009 and saw Metallica at Madison Square Gardends, which was awesome to say the least. The view from the top of the Rock is stunning especially at night.

Can't wait to go back someday.

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
wow.
its one place ive got to see before i snuff it,very jealous mate.(any more pics pls btw?)
also want to see san fran and alcatraz,my folks went there last year then drove down to las vegas.

Fantastic photos mate.

The memorial looks beautiful, I went this time last year and it was still a construction site. Your photos have made me want to go back!

I also went last year and it was still under construction, it looks to be a lot more completed than when I went!

Frankly I love NYC. Such a unique place, and despite it being very cliché for a lot of people, it's somewhere everyone should see in their lifetime imo.

I want to go back now :(