ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie asking for buying advice, does this look a good purchase?

I'm new to hot hatch ownership chaps, so please be patient with me :)

The car I have linked below is for sale (even though its been removed from ebay). From the details in the advert does it look like a good car?
I am going to ring him tomorrow, what questions are a priority to ask about the car?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_1464wt_1220

Or would this be a better purchase with the lower miles and more ne parts fitted?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4205236.htm

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
the black one looks straight enough but if, like the ebay ad suggests, the price doesn't include VAT it is way overpriced IMO

the blue one looks nice, seems it is owned by an enthusiast so "should" have been looked after.

both adverts are fairly comprehensive and cover most of the usual cambelt questions but its worth checking where the work was carried out as its not a job for most local garages.

check the usual HPI stuff and make sure the service history actually exists. You'd be surprised how many sellers advertise as FSH but cant produce it.

Thanks for the reply. The black one is advertised wrong, it should say "incl vat" so that price is the listing price.

Just another quick question, are all the 172 gearboxes prone to "the circlip" failure or is it luck of the draw? If so how best should I check the gearbox to make sure I don't buy a bad one?

I'm about 50% sure its the earlier phase one gearboxes but I'm sure a quick search would clarify/confirm this for you.

Just check for whines and drones at various speeds and make sure it engages shifting up and down and ensure it drives in all gears. The gearboxes do feel pretty loose and crap tho'

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
BLUE! definatly. looks quite nice actually. i'm not a huge fan of that blue but thats a tidy car right there!