ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie here!!

330ci, 850R, eunos
Hi guys, new around here!!

In the last few days I've seriously been considering a ph2 172. Hopefully going to look at a local one tomorrow to see what I think :)

Currently owning a BMW 330ci, Volvo 850R and Mazda 1.6 Eunos.

The 330ci is a lovely car, but the missus' really so I only really use it at weekends. Eunos has been my toy for a couple of years now, started going down the SC route, sourced a charger, started making brackets, tensioner, etc and then was planning to go down MegaSquirt route. Car is now showing signs of minor rust around rear sills, so want to concentrate on that first, and also considering selling the car early next year to cut down on outgoings.

That's where the 850R comes in, great car, I had an 850 T5 before, and then moved onto an R. Won't bore you with facts, but they are basically the top, end of line 850, 250bhp, LSD, uprated suspension, etc. I love it, but I think having two 850's back to back means I've got a little bored of it within 6 months, maybe it's too good!! Plus I don't want to tinker with it to much as once you go down the route of remap, different suspension, etc I may as well have just started out with a T5, and the R becomes less of an R. Plus it would be nice to have something that does more than 25mpg as my daily car!!

So that's where the Clio 172 comes in. Think they look great, can appreciate they should be a great drivers car, probably similar to my Eunos in a way, but more refined and a bit more poke (minus the SC!). Will be a big step down in build & ride quality from the Volvo, but I think maybe a total change is needed to keep me interested!!

Reliabilty worries are a bit of an issue (again coming from stellar Volvo's), but my sister had an ~02 Clio 1.2 16V, that was a bit problematic looking back, but most things were easy fixes (TDC sensor, coil pack, cv boots), the one that lead her to sell it in the end was an occasionaly problem with no cranking. Looking back it may have been the TDC sensor, but this had been done. Basically it seemed like something in the 'multi-function' timer unit that controls all sorts on the car was not grounding the starter signal. Seemed like a replacement was needed but they needed to be programmed. Sometimes you could get around it by doing an immob reset iirc (holding some buttons on dash, etc??), so as it was intermittent she got rid. Either way, I've always worked on my own cars and I'm an electrical/electronics engineer by day so should have a fighting chance!! At least parts are cheap!!

Enough rambling!! Looking forward to tomorrow! :)

330ci, 850R, eunos
Went and had a look around one local to me today, was an '02 172 FF. Possibly an ex member here as it had a cliosport sticker (and a Mark Fish Motorsport sticker), was EK02 JBO, silver, standard apart from some black samco hoses, although the exhaust was very loud. Loud at idle and pretty loud on throttle, didn't sound too good anyway. When I got back from test drive I checked and it 'looked' like a standard exhaust, so may have been badly blowing. I guess in hindsight it may have been a stainless stealth type exhuast, but I didn't look har enough. Certainly didn't sound raspy like YouTube clips I've heard of the stealth exhausts. Are some of them loud & boomy?

Car was on 84k and drove quite nicely really, clutch was heavy (cable?), pulled well from down low, didn't have the midrange shove of our 330ci or 850R, but I didn't expect it to. Handled nicely, was pretty comfy as well, seats supportive. Steering wheel angle reminds me of an original clio I tried years ago, not ideal, but not all bad!!

All in all I quite liked it, missus didn't really, but that's probably because she thought we'd moved away from cars like this!!

I'll be getting my 850R ready for sale and looking out for a decent 172 I reckon :) Anyone fancy a swap?? ;)

saxo
04/12/14..Hi amh82, My friend purchased EK02 JBO. It was a great little car, kept in great condition too.Sadly its recently been badly damaged and is in the hands of an insurance company..

clio 172 cup
Welcome bud had my 172 cup now two weeks great cars have always had German but loving the little clio