ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie needs help

Hi All

picked up my first Clio today its a 172 and I'm really pleased with it, plan on tracking it in the next 2 months. My only concern is at around 1500 rpm the engine makes a strange noise I was assured that the fault is the dephaser pulley, does this make sense ? Having a good read here its a bigger job than I was hoping and timing belt will need replacing also. My mate has done plenty timing belts but is there a guide anywhere on what is so different to the norm on the 172s. After reading on here lots tonight I'm very concerned of giving it to him to do.

Any help will be much appreciated

WRX
Dephaser can be heard at any rpm when warm, possibly best heard at tickover so I wouldn't say that it's 100% the dephaser. Whereabouts are you? The cambelt is ideally done by somebody that knows what they're doing AND WITH ALL CORRECT TOOLS.

Dephaser can be heard at any rpm when warm, possibly best heard at tickover so I wouldn't say that it's 100% the dephaser. Whereabouts are you? The cambelt is ideally done by somebody that knows what they're doing AND WITH ALL CORRECT TOOLS.

Thanks for the reply. Ahh no not what I wanted to hear as this can only be heard at 1500 ish rpm. What tools are required ? apart from the locking tool that iv previously read about. I'm in Herefordshire the car is off the road with no MOT or tax as it's only going to be used as a track car :-(

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
best bet is to get it in somewhere. Could be dephaser, could be a cam follower could be something on the aux belt. Could be something else besides.

Thanks but not so easy as no tax or mot and it has been sprayed bright orange so not a car I'd really like to be driving with no tax or MOT. My mate is very good with cars so he's going to have a look for me first. Thinking about getting a Mot and tax so may be a option.

Good or not with cars if he hasn't got the correct tools (genuine ones, and all 3) he won't be able to do it correctly.

dephaser clatters upto 1500rpm, then shuts up.